𝕀𝕍

4 | the original hybrid

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀WREN NERVOUSLY TWISTED HER HANDS, FEELING THE TREMBLING STACCATO OF HER HEARTBEAT POUNDING IN HER SKULL

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀WREN NERVOUSLY TWISTED HER HANDS, FEELING THE TREMBLING STACCATO OF HER HEARTBEAT POUNDING IN HER SKULL. HE WOULD BE HERE ━ any second now, he would be here.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Her mate, whom everyone thought she was destined to be with. She didn't know much about destiny ━ but it was hard to pass up the word of a seer. Still, the woman could've been lying to ignite a war between the covens by offering a false alliance.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Her feet paced the cold, stone floors quickly. Trembling fingers raised, running through her thick white hair. The moon shone down on her through a crack on the ceiling. She shivered under its gaze.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Her soulmate was a werewolf. Or at least half of one. It was all very confusing.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"They're ready for you," a dark-haired witch said as she pushed the gate open and eyed Wren with a measured amount of disdain, "do your best to captivate him. We need his allegiance."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren gave a glare, heading toward the girl. The witch turned, expecting her to follow right behind as she headed toward a candle-lit crypt a little ways away. From inside, Wren could hear three voices ━ Elijah's, Sophie's, and another one she hadn't heard before.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Her arm hairs stood on edge as a wave of goosebumps crossed her skin. Her feet began to move of their own accord toward the crypt, nearly surpassing the other witch in their enthusiasm.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I can assure you, love, that nothing on this earth that would matter enough for me to waste even thirty more seconds of my time." A quick shuffle of feet. "Elijah, what madness is this?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren was led by her chains through the gate, her pale green eyes raising to meet ones resembling a storm.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"This ━ brother ━ is fate," Elijah answered solemnly as he watched his brother's eyes lock onto the young blonde.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Niklaus stared at her ━ his face a mask of shock and intrigue. He quickly smoothed his expression, his eyes snapping to his brother. "And who is this?" he chuckled. "A lamb, led to the slaughterhouse?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren raised her eyebrows. A lamb? She went to open her mouth to retaliate with dagger-like words, but Sophie spoke before she could.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You're the Original Hybrid, half-werewolf and still bound to the tendencies of one. Wren, here, just happens to be connected to you in a very special way." Sophie waited until Klaus turned back to her. "She's your soulmate."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He stared at Sophie for a long moment, before bursting out into laughter.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren's careful expression faltered, her eyes shifting to Elijah. The elder Mikaelson looked disappointed, a forlorn expression creasing on his brows. Worry plucked at her gut ━ if he didn't believe them, this was all for nothing. The alliance that her mother had forced her into would fall, and there would be war.