「xxxiv」

34 | i will rule

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀THE NEXT FEW WEEKS were chaos. Her coven had put together their money and bought out a mansion close to the Abbotoir. It was beautiful - a work of french architecture that stood as a beacon of their alliance.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren had known many of her family members were wealthy, but she had never expected for them to buy a house of that age and stature. The place was gorgeous, but held a deadly background.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The people said the place was haunted, as the last family who owned the place were brutally murdered in their sleep. Her coven wasn't bothered in the slightest by such things.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The night of Davina's death had brought up questions, though. Questions nobody had answers to. The Harvest ritual was working, it should have worked. And yet none of them had risen from the stone in which they were slain.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Davina remained dead, as did the other three girls, but all of that power that Davina held had just disappeared.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren intended to find out exactly why that was.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Flipping through a spellbook, Wren hadn't been on her guard. Her surroundings had melted away from her into a dull noise in the back, so she didn't hear when her window creaked open, but she did notice the pair of boots that hit her floor with a thump.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Sucking in a breath, she stiffened where she sat. Her eyes flickered up from the page, catching a glimpse at the mirror across from her. Her jaw fell slack in shock. "Nina?" she gasped out.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The hybrid looked beautiful. Her hair was bouncy and shimmered in the candlelight, and her plump lips were stained with red. She looked dangerous and wild and everlasting. "Miss me?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren threw her book aside and jumped up from the couch. "Oh my goodness, where have you been? Elijah told me you went to the bayou to live with the wolves, but that was over two weeks ago! You haven't texted or called-" she rambled on.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Nina put up a hand. "No cell service out there, at least not for me, anyway. And I heard you were busy. Regent of the Everlastings, eh?" She winked. "Looks good on you."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren blushed. "I can't even believe half of the stuff that's happened, and now you!" She wrapped the hybrid in a hug, bouncing on her painted toes. "I'm so glad to see you."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A whoosh of air came into the room. "Ah, look who finally decided to stop running with the mutts and join us." Rebekah's voice bounced around Wren's bedroom. "I heard the commotion and wanted to check on you, looks like you're doing alright."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Nina grinned, her red lips revealing white teeth. "How you doin', blondie? Boys give you a hard time while I was gone?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You have no bloody idea." Rebekah rolled her blue eyes. She looked at Wren. "Nik wants to see you, by the way. He's ready to go."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren cast a look of despair at the packed bags on her bed. "Have the boys take my bags to the car," she said reluctantly. She wasn't exactly excited for the eight-hour drive he had planned.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You're going somewhere?" Nina asked, furrowing her eyebrows. Her face had fallen a little.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yeah," Wren answered, giving her an apologetic smile. "Klaus has this... vacation planned for the two of us. He says it's to celebrate my victory over my mother but I think he just wants some ass."