𝕀𝕀

2 | a girl in new orleans

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀THE NEXT MORNING, WREN HAD DRESSED IN EXPENSIVE CLOTHING

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀THE NEXT MORNING, WREN HAD DRESSED IN EXPENSIVE CLOTHING. HER HAIR WAS BRAIDED TO PERFECTION, and she carried an air of authority with her wherever she went. Her mother had always said, "If people have to wonder whether or not you're in charge, you're not doing your job right."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She wore a simple, fitted white dress underneath a beige double-breasted trenchcoat that fell to the tops of her thighs. The hem of her dress peeked out, ending at her knees. Her pale calves were bare to the morning sun. On her feet were a pair of tall beige heels with golden vines twisting up the stilettos.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When she walked down the stairs, a quick whistle from her younger brother was enough to make a smile twist on her lips. "Hush, Alexei," she scolded quickly, her brilliant smile lighting up the entire room, "today is supposed to be serious."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The coven had gathered in the house. They littered the ginormous living room, the kitchen, and the dining room. Most were deep in conversation ━ exchanging smiles or friendly gestures.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Eyes fell on Wren, and conversations hushed as she took a confident stance on the last step of the staircase.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Her mother descended the staircase behind her, dressed in a simple beige pantsuit. Her icy eyes trailed over the coven, sharply glaring at any who looked her in the eye.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"We are going to meet with the noble covens of New Orleans. For the ones I bring with me, I expect you to be on your best behavior ━ if you bring shame to our coven I can ensure a punishment worse than exile." Valeriya raised her chin. "Have I made myself clear?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀No one spoke a word. It was so silent one could hear a pin drop.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Good," Valeriya allowed her eyes to flicker around the room. She began to call on people whom she believed would do well with the political trip. Those who were powerful, but not arrogant. When she had six people with her, not including Wren, she gestured to the door. "We will meet at the City of the Dead."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Across the town, in the Lafayette Cemetary ━ otherwise known as the City of the Dead ━ a group of witches had gathered around a dark-skinned woman with corkscrew curls.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She passionately, but also fearfully, explained one of her visions about the residents of their town. A silver-haired witch that they had neither acknowledged nor embraced.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Just as they began to exchange murmurs, two dark-haired women walked around the corner. They were olive-skinned, with coffee-colored eyes and average builds.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What are you telling them now, Sabine?" the first one said. She had a gap between her teeth. Her voice sounded exasperated as if she had been through the same situation a thousand times before.