「xxviii」

28 | white gowns and family affairs

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀WREN STOOD IN THE STREET, HER FIST STILL CLENCHED AROUND THE SKETCHING PENCIL

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀WREN STOOD IN THE STREET, HER FIST STILL CLENCHED AROUND THE SKETCHING PENCIL. HER EYES LOOKED OVER THE CROWD, ignoring the stares that looked back at her.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She knew why they were staring. She was a porcelain beacon in the daytime, with the sun reflecting off of her ice white skin and silver hair. The white gown she wore didn't help dull the shine.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Many women there were dressed the same way she was. She didn't know why she was such an eyecatcher. Sighing in frustration, she brushed her hair away from her face and looked once more over the crowd.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Davina wasn't here. That much was obvious. Or if she was, she was very good at hiding.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Her spell had led her all over the city. The magic seemed to spark in different parts of New Orleans, but it felt like she was everywhere. Her type of magic was tricky anyway, with her source being the ancestors. They may have been trying to hide her from Wren.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Giving up, she tucked the pencil away in her clutch and began to walk down the street. Her white ballet flats clicked against the warm concrete.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A hand wrapped around her arm, stopping her in her tracks. Wren's arm began to glow in defense as she went to wrench away from the assailant.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Easy, cousin." Visily's golden eyes crinkled at the corners as she smiled. "You're a hard bird to find these days."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Chalk one up to vampire bodyguards," Wren's tense posture didn't relax any as she turned toward Visily. "What do you want? Here to deliver another warning?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I wanted to say that you've got some major balls, claiming Regency like that." Visily grabbed a glass of red liquid from a nearby vendor, leaving a couple dollars on the table. "Valeriya is pissed."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren scoffed, smiling a little to herself. "Good."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"She's gonna challenge you for leadership, Wren. You need to be ready for it."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren wrung her hands together. "When?" she asked, clearing her throat.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Three days, on the full moon. The way the Gemini Coven used to do it."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I thought the point of our ancestors leaving the Gemini Coven was so we didn't have to follow their traditions anymore." Wren rolled her eyes. "The coven will be on edge."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"They already are. Most of them think that Valeriya is going back to the old ways. Anybody who's not old and wrinkled is on your side." Visily grabbed Wren's hand. "I'm on your side. Valentine too."