「xxxi」

31 | a portent of evil

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀SHATTERING GLASS WOKE WREN FROM HER PEACEFUL SLEEP. SHE SAT UP IN NIK'S BED, eyes wide and looking for an explanation for the noise. "Niklaus?" she muttered, looking around. He was gone.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Sighing, she stood and swiped his shirt off of the dresser, pulling it on over a pair of cotton shorts. Her bare feet carried her from the room, where she followed the sound of British accents and awful attitudes.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Why the hell are we having earthquakes at eleven in the morning?" she questioned as she walked in the room. Her hair was a mess, falling around her in crinkled waves. "A girl can't even get a decent sleep around here."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus sighed from where he sat. "Good morning, darling. I slept well, thank you." He flipped the page of his newspaper. "To be honest, I'm surprised you slept through the first two."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"There's been more?" Wren raised her eyebrows. "What's happening?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"The witch that you were all so desperate to save has taken to not only vomiting dirt but causing earthquakes as well. It seems she's not too happy to be alive."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren shot a glare at her mate. Leaving the room, she headed toward where Davina was being kept. "Leave us." Her voice was low but commanding as she stepped through the french doors.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"No way," Marcel answered, blocking her way.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I will not ask again, Marcellus." Her eyes narrowed at him.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"That's good," he snapped back, "because I'm not leaving." He straightened his back. "How do I know Klaus didn't send you to do his dirty work?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren arched an eyebrow. "If Niklaus wanted her dead as badly as you think he does, he would've killed her already." Her eyes moved from the vampire to the witch who sat on the bed quivering. "Davina, I need to speak to you."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I don't want to talk to you. To either of you." Davina's answer was full of distaste.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Tough. I might be the only person in this compound that knows what's happening to you." Wren put her hands on her hips. "Still unwilling to talk?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Davina looked at Marcel. "Fine, but I want him to leave."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"That makes two of us."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Marcel rolled his eyes, whispering to a vampire by the door as he walked out.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren smiled a bit and walked forward. "How much do you know about the harvest ritual?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren stood in the doorway, watching silently as Rebekah injected a sobbing Davina with a syringe of morphine. It was meant to keep her calm until they could think of other options to postpone her death.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Timothy walked up to the door. "Can I see her now?" he asked softly.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren stepped aside. "Yes," she answered, "Rebekah and I have much to discuss."