𝕍𝕀𝕀

7 | to reclaim a city

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀THE HOUSE WAS SILENT, ALL APART FROM THE MICROSCOPIC SOUND OF A PEN SCRATCHING AGAINST PAPER IN KLAUS'S STUDY

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀THE HOUSE WAS SILENT, ALL APART FROM THE MICROSCOPIC SOUND OF A PEN SCRATCHING AGAINST PAPER IN KLAUS'S STUDY. THE REST WAS ALL WHITE NOISE ━ the ticking of a clock, the tap of a finger against skin, and the unbearable sound of boredom as it left Wren in the form of sighs.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren sighed once more before Klaus finally snapped.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"That is the nineteenth time you've sighed in the past ten bloody minutes, what is it that you so desperately feel you must contribute to my legal papers?" he snapped, slamming his pen down on the desk and looking up at her with a glare. His plump pink lips pursed in annoyance.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren raised an eyebrow, uncrossing her legs and leaning forward. "You told me you needed my help in your quest to reclaim the city." She watched his reaction closely. "It has been four days since we had that conversation, Niklaus."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀His face hardened, his jaw clenching. "Do not speak to me as if we are familiars."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"But that's your name, isn't it?" Wren stood, placing her hands on his desk and looking down at him. "I've been living with you for the better part of a week, I think at this point we are familiar enough with each other to be on a first-name basis."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus' nostrils flared, biting the inside of his cheek as he considered what she was saying. "Given the fact that the only time you bother to pester me is when you have nothing better to do," he picked up his pen again, "I think you are better off referring to me with the name that my subordinates use."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What, Klaus?" Wren furrowed her eyebrows. "Seems barbaric."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus closed his eyes and sighed. "Fine," he snapped, "now get out. I am trying to sign the house over to you so that you will be protected here."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren rolled her eyes. "Gladly." She turned, walking out of the room and leaving the door open behind her ━ something she knew Klaus hated. His growl made a smirk grow on her lips, and goosebumps race across her skin.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Her amusement was short lived when the front door slammed open, revealing a tall blonde with a black top and matching skirt.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh, good," the girl smirked, "you must be the maid. My bags are in the car, retrieve them will you?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren raised her eyebrow. "Guessing you're the sister ━ Rebekah, I assume?" She walked forward, offering a hand. "Wren Romanov."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Right," Rebekah responded, blatantly ignoring her hand and looking around. "Where's Elijah?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren shook her head, retracting her hand and resting it at her side. "He's been gone for days. Niklaus told me he left New Orleans. You know I was actually starting to like him, but guess he jumped ship."