「xxxx」

40 | dance back from the grave

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀WREN FLICKED THROUGH A SPELLBOOK, searching for the ritualistic magic she had witnessed that morning.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus was pacing the room, leaving Sophie voicemail after voicemail. After the harvest failed she had fallen off the wagon, drowning her sorrows in liquor.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren sat up on the couch suddenly. "I found it," she informed him, handing Klaus the grimoire. "Sacrificial Magic, it's a form of voodoo. That particular sigil was used by a witch named-"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Papa Tunde." Klaus' voice came out in a growl.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Well, Alphonz Bellatunde Delgallo, but yes. Everyone called him Papa Tunde." Wren stood, rubbing her fingers over the worn page of the grimoire. "He used a special kind of magic where he drew power from his victims until their inevitable death."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm very familiar," Klaus said wryly, "and he will meet his end soon enough, love."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren nodded and leaned into his side. "Good." Her sigh turned into a quiet whine as a pain shot through her lower stomach. Lowering her hand there, she rubbed it lightly to try to relieve the pain.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What is it, darling?" Klaus' whole body had tensed up.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren's mouth fell open as the pain grew worse. "I don't know," she whispered out. She pulled away from him, heading for the bathroom door in the corner. "I'll be back."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The door closed behind her with a quiet click, followed by the lock turning into place. Klaus twisted his mouth in frustration and worry. He could hear her heartbeat. It was fast. He knocked on the door. "Love, are you alright?" he asked.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren let out a shuddering breath. "I'm fine," she called back shakily. "I think my period is starting, that's all." She looked down at the bloody wipe. It definitely wasn't her period. She wasn't due to start for at least another two weeks.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Nonsense, darling. You had your period only a couple weeks ago."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren held back a small laugh. "Of course you'd remember that." She sighed and threw away the wipe, pulling her pants back up. "I'm sure it's nothing, just some spotting."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus backed away from the door as she opened it. Her face had paled with worry, and the feeling eating away at her stomach would not go away anytime soon. Sighing, he pulled her to him and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I'm going to go relieve Papa Tunde of his newly-acquired breath, and then we will have the rest of tonight to relax."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren nodded, squeezing his bicep as he pulled away. "Don't keep me waiting." She smiled brightly at him.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀His footsteps left the room quickly.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Pulling out her phone, Wren dialed a number with shaky hands. The phone rang once, twice, three times before the line connected.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Wren?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I need your help."