𝕏𝕏𝕀𝕍

24 | reigning pain

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀THE COMPOUND WAS NOT HOW SHE'D REMEMBERED IT

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀THE COMPOUND WAS NOT HOW SHE'D REMEMBERED IT. THE SOMBER AIR FELT LIKE IT WAS CHOKING HER AS SHE EXPLORED, and no sooner than she'd begun to relax, she'd been confronted in the hall by vampires.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They looked at her like she was a piece of meat - something to be devoured or thrown to the dogs. "Someone lost their little lamb." The two men exchanged glances, grinning.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren stood straight, watching them with daring eyes. Her height was pathetic compared to theirs, but they did seem confused why she wasn't running for the hills. "Good. I was in need of some muscle." She beckoned them with her. "Come on."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"And why would we do that?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren furrowed her eyebrows. "I was under the impression that you all were at the beck and call of whoever was in charge - and well, it just so happens that I'm in charge." She looked between them in faux confusion. "Or should I get Niklaus and ask him?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh, so you're the Original's girl." The taller of the two smirked to himself as he walked toward her. "Thought I recognized you from somewhere."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren smirked up at him, a hint of the devil in her eyes.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Soon, she had the two of them working on moving her mate's sketch supplies into his bedroom. It was rather large compared to most of the other rooms she'd seen.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The man in question was in one of the many rooms in the compound, sharing a cup of bourbon with Marcel - who looked to be sinking deeper into his remorse, whilst Nik was all smiles.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You look happy," Wren commented as she walked into the room, "something I should know about?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh, just reminiscing about old times." Klaus handed her a paper - which was a printout of a picture taken long ago, based on the clothing. "Nineteen-nineteen, just before the Opera House burned down."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Meeting is in an hour," Marcel said before he stood, setting his bourbon on the table. His fast footsteps left the room, leaving the two of them in silence.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus looked at Wren from under his eyelashes as he watched her study the picture with a keen eye. "See something you like, love?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Wondering who this woman is that you've got on your arm."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus smirked to himself. "That would be one Sarah Pleasant, daughter of Ruffin Pleasant, the Governor of Louisiana in nineteen-nineteen."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Pretty," Wren put the paper down on the table, crossing her arms.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Niklaus stared at her for a long moment before a grin broke out across his face. "Don't tell me you're jealous of a woman who lived long before you were born."