𝕏𝕏𝕍𝕀𝕀

27 | the massacre

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I UNDERSTAND THAT SOME OF YOU MAY HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING THE RECENT CHANGE IN LEADERSHIP, and I invited you here this morning to assure you that you are not defeated." Klaus twirled his glass on the table, his eyes moving over his guests slowly. "No, my intentions moving forward are to celebrate what we have. What Marcel, in fact, took and built into a true community of vampires."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren stood from her seat, moving around the table to stand behind Klaus. She lay her hand on his collarbone, tracing shapes into it as he continued talking.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I would also like to further address a rumor that has been circling around about Wren. I assure you all that I do not intend to use the blood of my mate to create Hybrids."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The vampires traded doubtful looks. A couple of them scoffed or rolled their eyes.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"It appears I need to earn your trust." Klaus stood. "I'll eliminate the root of your anxiety - you see, how can I create Hybrids if there are no more werewolves alive to turn?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren's stomach sank. "Niklaus," she murmured, grabbing his shoulder as he raised his glass.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"So eat, drink, and be merry. Tomorrow, I suggest you have yourselves a little wolf hunt."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren faked a smile at the people seated at the table. "Leave us," she said sternly.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Trading annoyed glances, the vampires did as she asked. Soon, they had the courtyard to themselves.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What the hell is the matter with you?" she snapped at him.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus sat in his gothic style chair, looking up at her in mock confusion. "What do you mean, love?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You just ordered the extinction of the werewolves!" Wren took his champagne out of his hand as he went to drink it, slamming the goblet down on the table.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"That species is a means to an end. We are both working toward the same goal here, Wren. Whereas you prefer to spring the liberation of your coven on me in front of our subordinates, I would eliminate the need that they have to kill you altogether."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"The leadership of my coven is my decision to make."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"The extinction of the werewolves in this city is mine."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Actually, it was meant to be ours - considering you asked me to rule by your side." Wren rolled her eyes. "Whatever," she snapped, "do what you want."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She stormed upstairs, slamming the door to her bedroom as she went.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren stood at the gates, watching the people walk by. Her dress got some weird looks and a couple compliments.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What a coincidence," a masculine voice said from beside her, "to find the Queen of the Quarter sulking outside of the heart of her kingdom."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren glanced at Elijah. "That's typically what happens when your mate orders the extinction of the werewolves in the Bayou."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Why would he do that?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren sighed. "Apparently to eliminate some perceived threat against me. He still thinks I can't protect myself."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Elijah fixed his coat. "What can I do to help?"