𝕏𝕀𝕀𝕀

13 | peaceful afternoons and tragic nights

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀APPARENTLY, KLAUS HAD BETRAYED THE WITCHES IN ORDER TO CEMENT MARCEL'S TRUST. IN DOING SO, Marcel agreed to hand over the eldest Mikaelson brother as thanks.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Katie, who was Thierry's lover, had been betraying her people in order to gain her boyfriend favor with Marcel. They had used her as bait, essentially getting her to create a smokescreen spell so that Sophie could do a locator spell.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Before Sophie could complete it, however, Klaus ended the girl's life.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Rebekah had personally delivered the news to her newest family member. She had noticed the girl acting strangely for a few days, and took the chance to check on her.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm fine, Rebekah," Wren had sighed as Rebekah pried into her emotional well-being.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Anyone who is involved with my brother is never fine."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Don't worry," she gave a wry smile, "I'm not involved with him."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The Hybrid's fingers gently held a pencil as he fluidly sketched a portrait on a piece of paper. His lips tightened in concentration as he filled in the eyes.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Frustration brimmed in his mind. They weren't right.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren sat on the side of the pool, her toes hanging into the warm water as she basked in the morning sun. It was rare to find a moment of peace like this.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Her serene expression tightened as she felt a presence behind her. "What is it now?" she sighed out tiredly.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Come here." Klaus' voice was firm. "You are not supposed to be out here alone."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I know." Wren tugged her hair out of its ponytail. Her shirt was removed soon after, revealing a baby blue bathing suit.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Her shorts were disposed of, leaving her pale skin to soak in the sun.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm not alone, though," she continued, slyly peeking at him. "I'm with you."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He stood there in all his glory, in a long sleeve shirt and black jeans. His boots clicked against the stone as he walked to the edge of the pool.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Come inside. I haven't time to babysit you while you go for a dip."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Ask Marcel to come watch me then," Wren smirked as she slid into the water. "I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus' jaw ticked, a low rumble emitting from his chest.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I wouldn't mind much, either. He is really cute." Wren smiled wider as she watched her mate boil with anger. "Think about it ━ you can go looking for that little witch you're so interested in while I distract your would-be adversary."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I would sooner set his head on a spike than allow his hands to touch you."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren stood in the shorter part of the pool, walking to the side to lean against it on her elbows. The water sat at her ribs. "And what is it that is so infuriating about the thought of his hands on my body?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus crouched down in front of his mate, eyeing her baby-soft skin and devious gaze. She was intoxicating.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You don't want me, but you won't let anybody else have me either." Wren's lips trembled as she watched his gaze coat her skin, leaving a trail of fire in its wake. "Niklaus."