33. time heals

Gavi had woken up really energetic, ready to meet his physiotherapist to go on a hike near Barcelona. He had asked you the night before if you'd like to join the little group of injured players, claiming „healthy knees" would give the guys extra motivation.

You two had met the group at the start of the trail, you staying a bit behind to let Gavi focus on his recovery session.

Throughout the hike your boyfriend was joking around and even started to jog short distances like the physio advised him to do.

The grin was etched onto his face, sometimes glancing back at you as you gave him an encouraging thumbs up.

Seeing Gavi so motivated made you feel incredibly happy, happy to see your boy smile again. You couldn't be prouder to see him here, not after what happened in the last week of November. Three months ago all his hard work and dedication had been ripped away from him in a matter of seconds.

You were back home in Barcelona, watching the game against Georgia from your couch with his family. Originally, you had planned to travel with him, but Gavi knew how packed your schedule was and did not want to stress you out more.

„We're already qualified. Cheer for us from home, I know traveling now would only make you feel more stressed." He said and kissed you before leaving for the Spain camp.

„Be careful!" You said, receiving a nod from Gavi.

These words played in your head over and over again as you saw him lay there on the grass, clutching his right knee while sobbing in pain. Normally when he was being fouled, he stood up pretty quickly. Now Gavi wasn't even able to walk without assistance, making your stomach drop at the sight.

After receiving a call from Iñigo, telling you the physiotherapists assumed Gavi had torn his ACL, y'all stayed at your apartment waiting for him until he arrived in the early morning hours.

Gavi never stopped crying in your arms after he came back home, not only because his knee hurt like hell, but also because he was just so confused why it had to be him. He just wanted to play football, to help his club and country win.

The next week was horrible. You didn't recognize the loving, energetic Gavi anymore. He didn't talk much, even less than he already did, his eyes didn't sparkle like they did usually.

You tried your best to help him. Was it holding him in your arms, soothing him as he cried, was it bringing him his medication or helping him around the house, you never left his side.

Gavi's parents decided to stay in Barcelona until after his surgery, trying to organize everything for their son.

Your boyfriend settled down in his own house, his living room was now transformed into his bedroom to avoid walking up the stairs. You still had your own apartment, but abandoned it quickly when Gavi asked you with tear stained cheeks to stay with him.

The weeks dragged by slowly and it seemed like whole Barcelona was suffering. The weather was gloomy, the football club lost game after game and Gavi still could barely walk without his crutches.

During that time, Gavi knew he wasn't being the best boyfriend, his mental health has suffered a lot from this situation. Nevertheless you always cheered him up, encouraged him to go to his recovery sessions even though it was just so difficult. Gavi tried to show you he appreciated everything that you've done, even telling you how sorry he was for how your relationship was pushed aside due to his injury. He knew he wasn't as loving, as caring as before, but Gavi wanted to make sure you'd know how special you were to him and how much he loved you.

You were relieved he was the one coming up with this conversation and you were now a 100% sure Gavi was the boy you would want to spend the rest of your life with. A few tears were shed that December night, as it also affected you mentally.

After both expressed their worries and now being on the same page, it felt like somebody turned a switch.

Gavi smiled again from time to time and he came home from his recovery session much more motivated. Christmas was coming and you spent half of it with the Páez family, just you six (if we add Javi to the equation.)

Gavi got the green light to walk without his crutches, also feeling more comfortable in going out again, strolling around the streets of Barcelona. Overall he enjoyed being allowed to do more, gaining back his energetic demeanor day by day. He paid extra attention to give back the love and care you gave him the past month, be it a spontaneous date night where he cooked for you, grabbing flowers on the way back from recovery or just wake you up in the most beautiful way possible - with loads of kisses.

It almost felt like everything was fine again, except that Gavi watched the games from the stands instead of being on the pitch. It still made him grumpy to be sidelined, but you would catch him when he started spiraling again.

January went by much faster and instead of the gloomy, dull weather, Barcelona was sunny. Gavi tried to be outside as much as he could, because apparently „sunshine keeps the bad thoughts away" as you called it ever so often. Sometimes, you couldn't accompany him on his short walks but he always thought about you. You were the girl who kept him going, who helped him not fall into a depression.

That day, Gavi walked home convinced to need you by his side forever.

He walked to your apartment, knocking softly before you opened the door confused but happy to see your boyfriend.

„Gavi? I thought you were on a walk." You said surprised as you were in the middle of a study session.

He embraced you with his strong arms, leading you inside again.

„Move in with me. Please." He blabbered, looking down into your eyes.

You were shocked at first, knowing you never really talked about taking such a step yet, but smiled widely nevertheless.

„That's a bit sudden, where does that come from?" You had asked him. Gavi's sudden question took you right by surprise.

„You're always here for me. Especially in the last few months you were the only one who kept me going, who motivated me, who was there for me even though I wasn't for you. I realized I want to be with you forever and as you already live at my place 50 percent of the time, I thought you could move in completely." He exclaimed, his voice filled with excitement.

Two weeks later you were all moved in, enjoying to see Gavi every second of the day.

He made incredible progress, meaning stage two of his recovery began. It was the most fragile and difficult stage, but Gavi knew he had great support waiting for him at home.

His motivation fell a bit again, as the recovery was much harder now. Still, his mindset changed, thanks to you. He rather thought he was day closer of being on the pitch again instead of being one day longer into his recovery.

„Bebé why are you smiling so much?" Gavi asked, standing next to you as the group took a break from hiking. You didn't notice until you bumped into your boyfriend's shoulder.

„I thought about you. You're the complete opposite from a few months ago." You said in a lower voice, not wanting the other guys listen to what you were saying.

Gavi only smiled and kissed your temple softly.

"You've made incredible progress, you should be proud."

„Stop you're making me blush in front of them!" Gavi snickered, pulling you against him. „But I couldn't have done it without you" He said and flashed you a toothy grin.

---------------

A/n: As requested, hope you like it:)