14

OWENS POV
"Hey can I ask you something?" I asked as I sat down across from Amelia. It had been a few weeks since our date. We've gone on many more dates, and I really care about her. I really like her.

"Sure," she said.

"My mom apparently has a boyfriend," I said. I wasn't super happy about this. I love my mom, but I don't know, I never expected her to date after my dad.

"Yeah I know she told me," Amelia chuckled.

"She told you?" I asked.

"Yup," Amelia said, "Called me and told me all about their date."

"Do I want to know?" I asked.

"Owen do not be ridiculous your mother and I did not talk about her sex life," Amelia laughed, "Just like I don't tell her about ours."

"Well thank you for that," I chuckled, "anyway, she really wants me to meet him, would you come with?"

"Sure," she said, "but be nice to your mother Owen, she deserves love too."

"I know, but she hasn't dated anyone in a long time. I want to look out for her," I said.

"I understand that," she said.

-

Tonight Owen and I were meeting Evelyn's boyfriend. Oh she was the cutest. She called me after one of their dates and told me all about it. I've never met the guy but he does seem nice. I hope Owen can control himself. I know he is very overprotective of his mother. Owen and I were basically together, I mean we didn't put a label on it yet, but it feels right, him and I. He rang the doorbell and Evelyn opened the door.

"Oh Owen!" Evelyn smiled, "and you brought Amelia how nice." I smiled and hugged her. A man came out of the kitchen and he was probably Evelyn's age, maybe a few years older.

"Oh Brett, this is my son Owen," Evelyn smiled, "and his, girlfriend?" Owen and I looked at each other and he chuckled.

"Uh," Owen said, "this is Amelia."

"Oh it's good to meet you too," Brett smiled, "Ev dinner is almost done I was about to take it out of the oven."

"Oh let me help, we'll be right back," Evelyn said. I smiled. They were cute.

"Sorry," Owen said, "my mom's comment panicked and it caught me off guard."

"It's alright," I said, "unless she was talking about a different girlfriend you have."

"Oh shut up," Owen chuckled and kissed my head, "you know you're the only woman for me." And that made my stomach flutter, label or no label with Owen, I knew he cared.

"And I don't want you to think I don't want you to be my girlfriend," he started.

"Hey why don't we have this conversation later," I said softly, "I know your mother's comment caught you off guard, but right now we're here for her and Brett. We can figure out our stuff later."

"You're not mad?" He asked.

"No," I said, "why would I be mad?"

"Because I haven't asked you yet," he said.

"Dinners ready!" Evelyn interrupted from the kitchen.

"Can we continue this later?" Owen begged.

"Yeah, and stop stressing," I chuckled.

OWENS POV
Dinner was nice. I was skeptical of Brett. But he was nice for my mom. I approved. Of course my mom had to make a girlfriend comment in front of Amelia and I panicked. I don't want her to think I don't want her to be my girlfriend, because I do. I feel like it put me on the spot and I messed up. I know my mom didn't mean to. We said our goodbyes and got in my truck. Amelia sat down and she was quiet.

"So," I said.

"If you don't want to be my boyfriend please let me know before we go any further," she said and looked at me. I could see the tears forming in her eyes.

"Please just tell me if you don't want to," she said.

"I want to be your boyfriend more than anything in the world," I said gently and grabbed her hand, "I know we've been going on dates for a few weeks, and I probably should've asked already, but I do want you to be my girlfriend. I'm just scared of messing things up. I'm scared of going too fast with things. I mean I already consider you my girlfriend but I know that doesn't put the official label on it. I know you deserve to know where I stand and I should've asked you after our first date but I got scared. Will you be my girlfriend?"

"I will be your girlfriend Owen," she smiled.