20

OWENS POV
Amelia and I have been dating for almost 4 months. It's been great. Truly, every second I fall more in love with her. Well, I haven't told her I love her yet. I think I'm scared. Not scared of her, but I'm scared that maybe she doesn't feel the same way. Or I'd be moving too fast. I was washing the dishes and the front door opened. I turned to look at my amazing girlfriend. I turned and she looked horribly sick. She looked like she was going to throw up.

"Are you okay?" I asked. She took a deep breath and looked at me.

"My mother is in town, and Derek invited us for dinner," she said.

"Oh," I said, "are you feeling okay? We could stay home if you're sick."

"I'm nervous," she said, "I didn't exactly want you to meet my mom."

"Well that's okay, I'd love to meet your mom," I said gently.

"I'd rather not talk about it," she said, "it's not you, it's her, and I'd rather just go and leave early."

"Okay," I nodded, "what would you like me to wear?"

"Whatever you want, doesn't have to be fancy," she said, "I'll probably wear a sundress." I could tell she was freaking out. Amelia never talks of her mother. I don't know what happened between them but it must have been bad. Amelia told me she didn't need me to meet her, and I guess now she's being forced. I know she usually likes to do things on her own terms. I'm sure her mother can be that bad. I walked into the bedroom and Amelia was sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Hey beautiful," I said and kissed her head, "Your dress looks gorgeous."

"Thank you," she smiled.

"Let me get ready and we can leave soon," I said.

"Okay," she said. I could tell she didn't want to go. I got ready and we got in my truck. Amelia was silent. I felt really bad.

"We don't have to go," I said, "we could just get dinner ourselves."

"No it's okay," Amelia said. I drove over to Meredith and Derek's and parked the car. We got out and Amelia grabbed my hand. I gave her hand a reassuring squeeze and rang the doorbell. Meredith opened the door and she smiled.

"Hey guys," she smiled and hugged Amelia, "I'm glad you guys came."

"Thanks for having us," I said and put my hand on Amelia's back. Amelia didn't say anything as we walked in.

"Amelia!" Her mother came out of the kitchen, "oh you brought someone."

"This is my boyfriend, Owen," Amelia said, "Owen this is my mother."

"It's nice to meet you," I said.

"You too," Her mother said, "It's nice to see Amelia finally found someone." I looked at Amelia and I could tell it rubbed her the wrong way. Her mother went back into the kitchen and Amelia rolled her eyes.

"She seems nice," I said.

"Tell me what you think later," Amelia laughed.

-

I was helping Meredith with dinner while Amelia was outside with her mother. They had been seeming to get along I think. I'm not sure. They've been outside talking for at least 20 minutes now. I'm not sure if I should go out there. I don't want to intervene but I also want to make sure Amelia's okay. I went to go get the kids from the basement when I heard the back door slam shut.

"OWEN WERE LEAVING!" Amelia yelled. I turned around and she came out of the kitchen. She grabbed my arm and pulled me out the front door.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"We're fucking leaving," Amelia said. I wouldn't argue with her and unlocked the truck. Amelia sat down in the passenger seat and I saw her eyes fill with tears.

"What did she say?" I asked.

"It's not important. I want to go home," Amelia said.

"I want to know if I need to beat your mother up," I said, "I don't care that she's your mom. If she hurt you I'm saying something."