XII - Atkins

XII – Atkins

"You can stop being so sly, you know." I tell him as soon as the door shuts, notifying Louis's departure.

"What?" he asks, pretending to be innocent, but failing as he fights the smirk mingling on his lips.

"Don't pretend like I don't know what you did there." I stood straight, my hands on my hips telling him that I'm not happy with his actions. "Could you just cut him some slack, Liam? There's no need to be mean."

"I wasn't!" He denies, "Just told him his boss wouldn't be happy if he gets late, which is right. I hate people who aren't punctual."

"You could've tried not to rub it in his face, you dickhead! Now the father of my child and my best-friend don't get along!" I huff, shoulders slumping beside me.

"I just don't like him."

"You guys haven't even met properly! Give him a chance, will you?" I yell, "Stop being so prejudiced Liam, he's in this whether you like it or not. I know you're worried for me, but that's no excuse for being an asshole!"

He sighs, head hanging low. "I'm sorry, I know you're right. I'll be more civil with him the next time." Well he does sound guilty and I know the apology is genuine.

I huff exasperatedly before running my fingers through my hair, "I shouldn't have yelled at you. I'm sorry."

"Hey." He coos, "It's okay, come here." He stretches his arms wide and I comply once more leaning for another hug.

The thing with Liam is that he's so massive that when you hug him, you get completely engulfed in his arms. And I'm not that tall, so I easily get buried in his sturdy arms. I close my eyes and take a deep breath welcoming the warmth as I hold him tight.

"I missed you." Was what I meant to say, but it gets muffled by the fabric of his shirt. I snuggle into him, taking in his musky odor. It'd been almost a year since I got to do this. Too long.

He kissed the top of my head before letting go. His arms held my shoulders as he held me at arm's length, carefully looking at me. He had a wide smile on his face as he simply looked.

I didn't feel self-conscious, it was Liam after all. But it was weird seeing him look at me that way.

"What?" I ask.

"It is true." He confirms to himself, "You are glowing Lilly, pregnancy does make people glow."

I smiled wider, stepping away. "You could say that."

"Did you guys have a good time?"

"Yeah, you could say that." I shrugged, "We didn't do anything in particular though, just talked and hung out."

"Lilly, it's past midnight." His tone implied that I was hiding something, "Do you mean to say you guys talked till midnight?"

"He was about to leave ages ago. But you see I have this friend who enjoys going to parties, a lot." He frowned cocking his head to the side, "Who had to go to a club and get shit-faced on a Wednesday night." I add. His frown softens, and I know he's realized whom I'm talking about. "Apparently she had no one to drop her home so it was upon my shoulders and Louis offered to help."

"He offered to help?" Why is he finding it hard to believe?"

"Yeah, he pretty much carried her all along. I'm glad he came though, I would've been useless." I think this might just help Louis to get into Liam's good side.

He frowns, "Where's she right now?"

"In the guest room, sleeping." I answer.

He nods. "Well, I'll go now. My office starts right from tomorrow and I haven't unpacked yet" he says shoving his hands inside his pocket.