XLVIII - Tomlinson

48 – Tomlinson

"You're doing it again." I whisper, lips brushing against the shell of her ear as I wrap an arm around her waist and pull her closer to my chest. The warmth of the flimsy duvet is nothing compared to the warmth of her body against mine, and it's simply perfect how our bodies seem to fit against each other. Like every crest and every curve on our bodies were carved for us to pivot against each other perfectly.

"Doing what?" she wonders.

"Your body is here, but you're not. Come back to me, baby." She chuckles, a slight pink tint covering her cheeks within seconds. Her hands rest upon mine as she shuffles further behind, closer to me.

"I'm right here." She says, "Not going anywhere."

"But you're not." I mumble, nose buried in her jasmine scented hair. "Tell me what you were thinking about."

"It's silly!" she whines, burying her face into the pillow. My beautiful, lovely, shy girl...

"I don't care. Tell me." I urge, lips brushing against the skin at the back of her neck. I can see the goose-bumps slowly surface as I press a short open-mouthed kiss right there.

"Like, we, humans... we all live like we're gonna live forever..." She trails off and groans, "I can't explain it- but it's- it's like, like we take everything for granted, like it will all last forever... We live in this planet and use all the resources like it's never going to end, like we have another planet to go to if this one runs out. We take our loved ones for granted, as if they will always be with us, we get happy like we're never gonna get sad again and get sad like we're never gonna get happy again. We live like we're never going to die. We never think about how it will end one day." A small smile finds its way to my lips, proud to have the privilege to call someone like her, mine. "That's what's so beautiful and yet so tragic about life though, it's temporary, everything is temporary. From the flowers, to the stars. From our beating hearts, to the sky-high buildings. They will all come to an end someday and yet we act like it will last forever."

I am deemed speechless yet again by Aurora Lillian Atkins. Out of the many traits she has, getting me all tongue tied and awed is one of my favorites (Second to how she takes my breath away every time I see her.)

The long silence that follows is broken by her groaning again. "Ugh! I told you it was silly."

I shake my head, pressing my chest against her back. "No, no, no. That's not it. You're not being silly, love." I dismiss her demeaning thoughts, "You're right, you always are." I coax her to turn around. Dragging my hand down to her hips, I turn her slowly to face me. Her big, gorgeous eyes meet mine and they look at mine with so much love and wonder... I couldn't help it, I duck to capture her lips with mine and my eyes shut involuntarily. She rests a hand on my bare chest, her skin searing mine with a simple gentle touch. And her other hand gets lost in my hair whilst I wrap both my arms around her waist to pull her as close as humanly possible.

We're both breathless when we pull apart, both holding a dazed smile and wide eyes as we look at each other. "I love you." I whisper, scared that someone might hear us and intrude our private exchange. "I love you so, so much and I promise you that I won't ever take you for granted." My eyes flit back and forth between her glassy ones and I can hear both our breaths heaving with the intensity of the air between us. "Everyday Rory, everyday, I will love you like it's my last day alive." I promise, dragging my hand and placing it right above her belly. "You and our little love-bug, you're my world and I promise you that I'll keep loving you and loving you till you get sick of it."