XLII - Atkins

XLII - Atkins

A numbing silence rings across the flat as the three of us stand there. I can practically hear my heart beating rapidly in my ear as I gulp, trying to make sense out of this.

I hadn't even realised when I'd taken steps away from him, but I don't walk back into his arms. Instead I look into his electric blue eyes which now seem to widen in horror.

This isn't necessarily what it looks like - I tell myself, I can't jump into conclusions without hearing it all.

"Rory," I hear Louis call me out, "I can explain."

See? He can explain. There must be a perfectly valid explanation why his secretary is stark naked wearing his shirt and showing her jewels in his flat.

I take a deep breath, shaking all thoughts off before I muster a smile - a fake smile, but a smile nonetheless.

"Alright, explain." I tell him.

He gulps audibly before throwing a short glance at Amanda, who seems to enjoy the situation judging from her smile and her relaxed posture; folded arms, body weight on a single leg. He'd barely looked back at me before his gaze falls to the ground.

"Louis..." My voice shakes as fear starts sinking in. "Please tell me this isn't what it looks like."

He looks up at me one more time and the red rim aligning his glossy eyes gives me all the answer I need. But no, I will not believe it until he says it, if he says it's nothing, then I will not ask a single question, I'll believe him blindly, he just has to say it.

So I walk up to him, raise a hand to his cheek and touch him gently. "Louis, baby, tell me this isn't what it looks like." I smile at him, encouraging him to speak further.

I hear Amanda scoff, "Of course it is what it looks like. I'm still sore from last night Lou, you were sooo good."

I clench my teeth and tighten my jaws, controlling the urge to drag her by her hair and throw her from the window. I keep my hands intact on his jaw, urging him to speak.

That's when Louis looks at me again, blood shot eyes begging, "Rory, I- I'm sorry."

"I'm so, so sorry, baby." Louis rushes to me with open arms, an apologetic smile on his face as he hugs me grin the side.

I was a wee bit mad at him, frustrated at his absence. But as soon as I saw him rushing through the door, it all seemed to dissipate. But a little pretending can hurt no one.

He nuzzles his face to my hair. "Please don't be mad. I wanted to come with you but they just dragged the meeting so long!" He whined. "I would take up any excuse to see you love, even if it means shopping for three hours, they just didn't-"

"The shopping is for maternity stuff that I will need for our baby and yours and my clothes for your mum's wedding." I deadpan, my face straight and emotionless as I look straight.

"I know! I'm sorry!" He kisses the side of my head and I get this fluttery feeling in my stomach. It takes every ounce of self-control to not turn around and hug him and kiss that adorable face of his, but I refrain. "You can't seriously be mad at me. I'm too adorable."

I roll my eyes and scoff, telling him that he was being ridiculous (but we all know that's true.)

"Are you sure you're not gonna look at me?" I feel his hold loosening. When I look at him with a frown, I see a devious smirk in his features and that alerts me.

"Yeah." I take a step away from him but it's too late.

His vice grip on my hips lift me up and throw me on the couch as his fingers start tickling me.