Chapter 20 - Desire!

After Shiro and Ryuu cleared the peripheral killer ants, the ones in the inner circle gradually dispersed.

The thing inside gradually revealed its face to the two of them.

It was a black-haired beastman.

No, perhaps it's more accurate to say that 'thing' was once a black-haired beastman not long ago, as that miserable appearance could no longer be described as human.

Its lower body was severed at the waist, with various organs spilling out of the wound.

There were scars left by the killer ants on its chest and signs of being beaten on its face.

The expression of disbelief and agony at the time of death remained on its face, along with a scar in the shape of a lightning bolt.

Scars?

Shiro remembered the kind beastman who joked with him yesterday at the Hostess of Fertility.

When he left yesterday, he vaguely heard him say that he was about to save enough money to buy a new, better-looking red robe for his god, to give the god of his Familia some prestige at the Denatus.

So? He just died like this? What about his god? In the future, when seeing a red robe, would he think of the bright red wine in the goblets at the Denatus or his child's blood spilled all over the ground?

Countless questions emerged in his mind.

The beauty of yesterday and the cruelty of reality were mixed in his mind, making it difficult for Shiro to determine which was a dream.

"Ugh—"

Faster than his brain could react was his stomach, with stomach acid churning, awakening his brain.

Although he had been prepared to encounter dead bodies since crossing over, seeing a familiar face he met just yesterday dead, made him feel uncomfortable from the bottom of his heart, and he could only suppress this feeling and the stomach acid in his abdomen.

Ryuu seemed accustomed to this sight, but her clenched fists betrayed her thoughts.

Approaching the corpse, they found a black bag next to it.

Ryuu used a wooden sword to open the bag, revealing a killer ant's corpse inside, with a small knife stuck in it.

The bag also emitted a strange fragrance.

At this moment, both Shiro and Ryuu understood that this was not a simple scene of an adventurer being killed by monsters in the dungeon.

It was undoubtedly a murder.

The wound that cut the monster's body in half was clearly man-made.

Someone had exploited the killer ants' trait of calling their companions in danger.

After the killer ants arrived, they backstabbed this guy, taking away the magic stones and everything valuable.

This cruel scene fully exposed the maliciousness of human nature.

After burying the body in a good location, Shiro lost the interest to explore further and left the dungeon with Ryuu.

As soon as they reached the 4th floor, a deep voice came from around the corner.

"Ha ha! That idiot really thought we found some talking monster! He followed like a fool."

Another sharp voice came through.