Chapter 39: Conversation with Bell!

"Good evening, Torajirou-san..."

Upon seeing his life-saving benefactor greeting him, Bell could no longer pretend not to notice and felt embarrassed to continue ignoring him.

At this moment, Syr placed a plate of stir-fried noodles in front of Bell and looked at Shiro in surprise.

"Torajirou-san, you know Bell?"

Shiro nodded and said, "Previously, due to monsters in the lower part of the dungeon going out of control and reaching the upper floors, I encountered Bell, who was adventuring in the dungeon, while clearing these escaped monsters."

"Yeah, at that time, I almost thought I was going to die. Thanks to Torajirou-san for saving me."

Bell said, touching his head sheepishly, as his performance during their first encounter was too embarrassing. Or, it could even be said to be unsightly.

"But Bell, I'm curious about something."

Shiro turned to the boy and said, "You were actually very scared when you encountered that monster, weren't you? If you're so afraid of monsters, why force yourself to become an adventurer?"

"Because I want to become a hero!"

Bell's spirit immediately lifted when this was mentioned.

The boy had always loved listening to the stories told by his grandfather about heroes, where dashing heroes defeat monsters and save princesses.

These were dreams he aspired to achieve.

After his grandfather passed away, he decided to pursue his dream.

For this, Bell bid farewell to his friends in his hometown and embarked on the journey to become a hero alone.

His goal was the center of the world - Orario, the stage where heroes showed their might in the 'Familia myth'.

Finally, after a long and arduous journey, Bell arrived at this place.

However, what awaited him was the harsh reality that dealt him a heavy blow to his heart.

Most familias were unwilling to recruit a novice who appeared weak and inexperienced at first glance.

Just when he thought his story was about to begin after finally encountering a kind-hearted goddess who took him in, he unfortunately ran into a fleeing Minotaur.

If not for Shiro, Bell might have already died there.

"Is that so?" Shiro smiled at the other party.

"Huh? A hero? A kid like you who runs around in panic at the sight of a Minotaur should just go back to his hometown and farm quietly."

Bete, who had heard Bell's words from afar, came over to Shiro.

He looked drunk, with a glass in hand and an arm over Shiro's shoulder.

Perhaps because Bete was a senior adventurer, or maybe because the werewolf's words struck a chord in Bell's heart, Bell silently lowered his head without retorting.

Seeing Bell's dejected expression, Bete became even angrier.

The boy's expression reminded him of some unpleasant memories.

He slammed his glass on the table and glared at Bell with a fierce look, shouting, "If you're afraid of dying, then don't enter the dungeon! It's because of weaklings like you, who don't know their own limits, that our familias' search and rescue efforts are so burdened."