Chapter 21: The Dian Cecht Pharmacy!

A month after that incident, Shiro spent most of his time leveling up in the dungeon, advancing their exploration to the 16th floor, along with Lefiya.

Monsters appearing after the 12th floor, many with Lv2 strength, provided Shiro with decent experience points/excelia.

While Lefiya couldn't train as effectively on the upper and middle floors, Shiro's [Companion's Bond] skill kept her growth of ability values from falling too far behind.

Despite the lingering fear of monsters, she was now able to confront them directly, albeit only lower-level ones, but it was a form of progress nonetheless.

Torajirou Shiro Lv1

Strength: A830→S954

Endurance: A810→S920

Dexterity: A880→S990

Agility: A870→S980

Magic: S990→SSS1200

Skills: [Desperado] [Celestial Star Spirit's Protection] [Intuition] [Companion's Bond]

"It really happened."

Loki, holding the parchment with Shiro's status, was amazed.

A few days ago, when his magic level had just reached S rank, Shiro had asked Loki about the limits of an adventurer.

Loki explained that the highest confirmed ability value of an adventurer was currently S999.

"Then I just have to go beyond the limit!" Shiro had declared like a hot-blooded protagonist.

Loki knew he was serious.

'If he cannot even surpass the limits of an adventurer, how could he claim to surpass the gods in the future?'

Witnessing Shiro break a record unbroken since the descent of the gods, Loki felt a surge of nostalgia.

Loki then burned the parchment showing Shiro's status.

"Now you can prepare to level up."

While the increase in ability values significantly improves physical fitness, it pales in comparison to the enhancements from leveling up.

If improving ability values is about unleashing one's potential, then leveling up is about gradually sublimating a person's essence to a near-godly state.

Rumors say that Lv10 is the domain of gods.

But rumors are just rumors.

"Lv10 can reach the domain of gods? How is that possible?"

Shiro, when asking Loki, heard a scoff in response.

"Why do you think the highest record is Lv9?"

Indeed, since the gods descended, humans have never reached Lv10, with the latest record being the legendary Lv9 "Empress."

"If Lv1 to Lv2 is about surpassing one's limits to enhance their potential, then Lv9 is the absolute limit of human possibility."

Loki revealed the harsh truth to Shiro.

"The gods have never acknowledged Lv10 as divinity because we understand humans' need for hope."

"If we told people the highest they could ever achieve was Lv9, countless would give up the profession of being an adventurer. The benevolent gods hide this fact to avoid hurting their children, while the malevolent ones enjoy watching a person strive their entire life only to realize they can never reach their goal."