0.6

( Important notes at the end. )

- H -

"Come on kid. Up."

I woke up, my neck and back sore. I opened my eyes to see a fat balding man prodding me with his foot.

"Sorry." I mumbled and pulled myself off the floor. The early morning sun was bright in my delicate eyes.

"You heading to the shelter?" He asked in his rough old man voice.

"The what?" I asked pulling my bag onto my back.

"The shelter. Free food for the homeless. Down the end of the street and turn left. It's on the end of Bower Road. You should see it."

I thanked the man before talking his directions and heading down to the shelter. As he said I got to Bower Road and it was just on the corner.

It was a homeless shelter actually. On the front of the building there was a chalkboard where they had written

FREE FOOD FOR THE HOMELESS.

I cringed at the word homeless. I hated the feeling of not having a place to call my home.

I pulled the door open and walked in. No one looked up as it was rather noisy. I didn't know so many people were homeless in this area.

Looking around, I made my way to the food station. Most people were already eating so the line was only three people long, including myself.

I picked up a tray from he pile and took it over to the food station. The old lady behind the counter grabbed a bole and the shoved a scoop of horrible looking gloop, that was actually porridge, in.

I gagged at the sight but placed it onto my tray anyway and headed to an empty table in the far corner away from everyone.

I looked around at the people on the other tables and felt something in the pit of my stomach. I don't know what it was.. Guilt? Embarrassment? I don't know.

I took a spoonful of the porridge and spat it straight back out. YUCK! I had never really liked porridge but my mum used to put Nutella in and make it taste like chocolate instead of yuck.

But there was no Nutella in sight here.

Pulling my bag off my back and next to me, I pulled my phone out and checked the time. 8:30AM. I knew I would be late for school but at the moment I couldn't care less. I smelt like shit, I looked like shit and the last thing I needed was stupid fuckboys pointing it out.

I looked around for a bathroom to try and freshen up a bit but I couldn't see one so I grabbed my things and walked up to one of the lady who was taking people's empty boles and cups.

"Excuse me miss" I asked. She turned around, her long brown hair was swept over one shoulder and her makeup free face looked young and pretty.

"Hello, can I help you with something?" She had a very mumsie sense about her. She seemed like the sort of person you went to for a hug.

"I was wondering where a bathroom was please?" I asked shyly and she smiled at me.

"Just down the hall on the right." She smiled and pointed to a hall way that was on the other side of the room.

I thanked the kind lady and walked towards where she showed me. As she said, at the end of the corridor there was a male and female bathroom.