Chapter 74: Explosion in the Temple

Hi! Here's a short chapter to continue Obi-Wan and Kyria's conversation and a brief return to Shmi in the Jedi Temple. Feel free to vote if you like it or comment.

Obi-Wan's point of view

I watched my friend slap her forehead curiously, wondering what answer she'd come up with from our conversation.

Me: What are you talking about, Kyria?

She looked up at the ceiling, seeming elsewhere for a moment, before turning her violet eyes towards me.

Kyria: Luke and Leia...I know who they are.

Me: Padmé's agent and one of her servants?

It was true that both of them had also attracted my curiosity. I wondered what my friend had come up with.

Kyria with determination: Yes. But first, I'd really like to see this prisoner, Obi. Not that I doubt your words, but I need to be sure.

Me: I understand, Kyria. But it might be complicated, since you're no longer a member of the Order.

Kyria sighs: That's true.

Mois smiles: Fortunately, I've brought you something.

She looked at me with interest as I pulled out two familiar metal weapons. One with a golden wrist and the other darker.

Kyria: My swords!

Me: Given that you're going to be pursuing the ways of the Force, it's best that you have them.

Kyria: How do you know?

Me: I know you, Kyria. You were made to be a Jedi, and I doubt you'll give it up.

Kyria: There are many paths to that, but I'm not going to turn down these gifts. Thank you, Obi.

And so she took the weapons, looking at them with a wistful smile before tucking them into her sleeves.

Me: Well...let's get going. Do you still have your coat?

Kyria: We should pick them up tomorrow.

Me: Good. That leaves us today to get there and try to unravel this mystery.

Bail's point of view

I sighed, still sensing a debate about the resources allocated to the clone army and the directives. And as the days passed, I had the impression that democracy was fading more and more. And with that, I worried about Kyria's future. She may have been confident, but I knew she was lost. What on earth had possessed her to leave the Order at such a complicated time?

Palpatine: Am I disturbing you, Senator?

I turned to the chancellor with his calm, peaceful gaze. Although his growing powers worried me greatly. He was escorted by his usual red guards, as well as a few of his supporters.

Bail: No, Chancellor. Is there something you wish to discuss?

Palpatine: Yes.

He gestured to the guards and followers to stand back, leaving us alone.

Palpatine: Let's walk a little, please.

So we started walking, asking me what the Chancellor wanted to discuss.
Palpatine: There are rumors that your sister has left the Jedi Order. Is this true?
Me: I'm afraid so, Chancellor.
He put on a disappointed, worried expression at this news.
Palpatine: How regrettable. Your sister was a great asset. I'm sure she could have become a great Jedi.
Me: Perhaps. Now it's all in the past. What's your point, Chancellor? I thought you were going to discuss the subject of the session.
Palpatine: Don't I have the right to worry about a friend of a friend? After all, your sister is quite close to Anakin Skywalker, from what I've heard.
I frowned at that. I'd always been suspicious of the latter, finding him too unstable for my sister.
Palpatine: Youth is always animated by a certain ardor. And sometimes that can lead to... unfortunate decisions. Right, Senator? Now that your sister no longer has the protection of the Order, she's an easy target for any enemy of yours or of the Republic. I imagine that, as your brother, this must worry you.
Me: I must admit that Kyria is one of my concerns.
Palpatine: I can always put her under my protection, if you like. That might reassure both you and Anakin.

Me: That's kind of you, Chancellor, but I must refuse.

Leave Kyria in the hands of this powerful man? Out of the question. And it wasn't his ties to Skywalker that would give me confidence.

Palpatine: It's a pity. But I understand. I wish you luck, Senator. I'm sure you have a lot on your plate.

With that, he walked away, while my fear for Kyria only grew after this conversation.

Shmi's point of view

With my legs crossed and my eyes closed, I let myself drift in the river of the Force. Darkness growing to eclipse the light that had already occupied too much space, to bring balance. Good or evil...it's all a question of point of view, in my opinion. I heard footsteps and opened my eyes to see my daughter arriving, escorted by a Jedi I recognized. He was the first Jedi I'd killed as my father's agent, and whom the Council could see. Just as in my memory, he was staring at me with a saddened look. I wondered about his ties to Mother, to give me such a look.

Me: You're not alone, I see.

Rey: Yes, Master Ceres wanted to see you.

Me: How touching.

I watched her out of the corner of my eye, the pained look on her face making me feel sorry for her.
Me: So, what do you want to talk about, daughter?
Rey: Mother...are you sure you don't want to say anything about your hatred of the Jedi Order?
Me: Why do you care so much?
Ceres: Are you really his daughter?
I turned my gaze towards him, unable to stop an amused smile.
Me: Do you have any doubts?
Rey : Who are you talking about?
Ceres : My former pupil.
My daughter widened her eyes and stared at me. As for me, I couldn't help but emit a sadistic glee at the sight of such a face coming from a Jedi master.
Rey: Mother... Is it true?
I stared at my daughter for a moment, wondering if I should tell her the whole truth. If she was ready to face it. Then I snapped out of it, remembering that my mother's master was still there.

Me staring at him: What makes you say that, Jedi?
He was about to speak, when we heard the sound of an explosion. I could feel the panic in the Temple. My daughter soon followed Master Ceres to find out what was going on. I ignored my daughter's gaze and sat down, crossing my legs to meditate. As the two silhouettes moved away from my vision, I couldn't help thinking of that event. The one where Father lost his apprentice. I didn't think it would happen so soon. It intrigued me. Did this mean that Order 66 would arrive sooner than expected? Did it mean that Palpatine would soon reveal his true face? No... This event was out of his hands. But if the attack on Coruscant came sooner, I'd have the confirmation I thought it would. Unless I wanted to rush things. Staying in a cell, knowing that my daughter was serving this pitiful order, annoyed me to no end. But what made me slow down in this process was Mother and Father. Things could lead them down an even worse path than the original, if I wasn't careful. Oh...what to do? I was really going to have to think about that.