THIRTY-SEVEN

I laid in my bunk and stared at the ceiling with a mug on my face

I laid in my bunk and stared at the ceiling with a mug on my face. It had been at-least two weeks since I got booked and I was ready to go home.

I missed my girl. I missed my son. I just missed being free. You see this life was nothing new to me. I had been to jail a few times and prison once. I hated it but these were situations I put myself in.

I was angry for letting myself fall into the trap of the hood. The lifestyle I watched many of peers live. I should've taken a different route but I was just to influenced and that's what angers me. Now I'm sitting behind a cell again, praying I can get out.

I know God never gets tired of me but sometimes it feels as if he does. I do so much to disappoint him. I'm living a lifestyle he didn't call me to live.

As I sit and recuperate, I think about Riome and how I don't want him to do as I did. I followed in my father's footsteps and ion want the same for my son. He deserves better and I want him to have better. It's much more to life than selling drugs, being posted on the corner, and running from the jakes. I want my son to know that but it all starts with me.

" What you thinking bout?" I heard my bunk mate, Red question.

Red simply went by red because that was the tone of his skin. He was real light, the same tone as what many would call a redbone.

" Going home." I admitted adjusting my attention towards him.

" What you in here for son?" Red questioned again.

I sighed hearing the word son leave his mouth. He was a little older and continuously called me that shit. I hated it.

" A murder charge. You?"

Red chuckled, shaking his head. " Same thang. I killed my lil girls murderer."

" Mhmm. Damn sorry for yo loss." I uttered pushing my dreads outta my face.

" You ain't gotta be sorry. You ain't kill her." Red replied grabbing a honeybun from his stash. He opened the wrapper and took a bite.

" You in here on M charge too. Yo ass better get comfortable."

I shook my head in disagreement. " Nah. I'm getting outta here cause Ian even did shit."

" Wrongfully accused? I hope yo peoples out there fighting for you."

" They is. This shit rough though Ian gone lie. Ian never been away from my son for so long." I spoke keeping my attention focused on the ceiling.

" Damn you got a lil boy. He was there when you got arrested?" Red asked as I nodded.

" He was in my arms. The jakes pointed they guns in his face and my girl face. I felt like a lil bitch cause I couldn't even do shit about it." I shook my head, getting angry all over again.