The After Life

December 1st 2009

I wipe the tears from my eyes as Tom's pulls up into the graveyard parking lot, Georg and Gustav sit in the back but you wouldn't know, we've all been quite this whole journey.

Tom sighs, "Everyone ready?"

I say as my voice crakes, "Ready to burry the love of my life? fuck no." I feel the tears from in my eyes, "Maeve and I were supposed to live a long life together, have children watch them grow up and watch them have our grandchildren." I sigh, "But no, that cruel fucking man killed her just because i was with her."

"Bill, stop." Tom says.

"No, no." I rest my head on my hand, "What if i never had come here, got back into her life?"

"Bill.." Georg says from the back of the car, "It wasn't your fault."

I bite my lip trying to keep the tears in, "I don't want to let her go, i can't." I turn to Tom, "I can't."

Tom places his hand on my shoulder, "Yes you can." Tom sighs, "For sure, her death has left a massive hole in all our hearts, but Maeve would want you to move on, and you know that."

I nod, "You're right." I sniff back, "I'm ready." I say before getting out the car, it was a rainy day in LA but something about it was beautiful.

Maeve was like a rainy day, sometimes cold but always beautiful.

I shut the car door behind me and walk up the path to where Maeve's body will lay to rest.

I see Julie and Phil holding each other close as i walk up to them, Julie turns around to me and looks at me with her teary eyes.

I walk up to her and place my hand on her arm, "Don't say anything, i completely understand."

She briefly smiles at me, "She really did love you, Bill." Julie sniffs, "Even after we moved away, it was always you."

I feel my eyes well up as i nod, "And i loved her too, i still do." I sniff, "She'll always be with us, though."

"We know." Phil pipes up, "I just wish that low life scum hadn't taken her life for the fun of it."

"I'm glad he's locked away for good." Julie says, "It makes the world a better place."

I nod, "Agreed." I say as i look around, i make eye contact with Tiff holding her baby as she stands away from everyone, i look back at Julie and Phil, "I'm going to go check up on Tiff, i'll be back." I start to walk up to Tiff.

As i do, Tiff looks at me with sorry eyes as tears fall down her face.

I walk up beside Tiff and sigh, "Are you okay?" I mumble.

Tiff sniffs, "She's really gone." She says, "I didn't want to accept it, but she really is." Tiff sighs, "Such a beautiful soul, a beautiful life taken within seconds." Tiff says before breaking into full tears, making me cry too.

I wrap my arm around her shoulder and hold her close, "I know, i know." I sigh, "i know."

***

10 minutes later..

I stand next to Tom in the pouring rain as we all gather around Maeve's, soon to be lowered into the ground, coffin.

I wipe my tears away as the priest steps forward and starts talking, "Today, we gather to celebrate the life of Maeve Mary Lems whose life was taken too soon." The priest speaks, "Maeve was a sweet, innocent and beautiful soul who never had a care in the world. But today, we say goodbye to the girl who had a long life ahead of her."