Chapter 9: Babysitters (Part 6)

When Jeffrey came back to pick up his daughter, he expected her to coming running into his arms as she usually did, telling him how much she missed him and wanted to go home.

Instead he knocked on the door and immediately heard his daughter start bawling from behind it. A loud “Nooooooo I don't wanna go!” And then the running noise of tiny feet.

He was also mildly surprised when Aphmau opened the door instead of Aaron, a sheepish smile on her face.

“Heeeey Jeffery! Uh just a sec, Aaron has to fish her from underneath the bed.” On que, another scream came from upstairs. “Unkie Aaron! Don't make me go!”

“I’ve never seen her not want to come home before… what happened?” Jeffery was still smiling if not slightly worried by the many thumps coming from inside the house.

“Abby really took to Aaron… she slept on the couch with him last night because she knew she had to leave today…” Aphmau explained slowly, a laugh escaping through her gritted teeth. Jeffrey looked bewildered.

“I uh wow… I don't think she's ever taken to someone like that before. Guess Aaron's got more paternal instincts than I thought.” Jeffrey replied, finally all the noises stopped, and Aaron came to the door with Abby in his arms, gripping him so tightly it looked almost painful.

“Sorry Jeffrey, I told her that she had to be ready when you got here…” Aaron said glumly, only for Abby to grip him even harder, causing the man to place a hand on the back of her head.

“Abby, come on, didn't you miss Daddy?” Abby stiffened, then turned to look at her Dad, pouting and with tears in her eyes, the area around them was incredibly swollen, like she'd spent awhile sobbing.

“Y-yes.” She choked out. But still had one arm around Aaron's neck. As if she was torn between them.

“Can I have two daddy's…?” She asked even though her voice was incredibly small. Aaron felt his heart jump and then melt into a puddle, instinctively he held her a little closer.

Jeffery’s jaw hit the floor, his eyes wide with awe, Aaron could only chuckle and he moved so that Abby had no choice but to look at him.

“Abby, I'm honored over that. But I'm not your Daddy, that is.” He pointed over at Jeffrey who was still recovering from whiplash. “But I'll always be here for you, and you can bug your Dad to bring you over if you wanna see me okay?” Abby seemed to be calming down, she looked over at Aphmau and hummed to herself.

“Will Auntie Aphmau be here too? I don't want Unkie to be lonely.” The way the little girl looked back up at him looked so intense, once again, he was reminded of Katelyn.

“I won't let him get lonely Abby.” He felt Aphmau slide both her arms around his, pulling him down slightly. “Even if he wanted to be.” They locked eyes at her last words, she was smirking up at him, making him smirk back.

Leave it to Aph to always have his back

“Yay! Okay… I'll go.” Abby leaned over to peck Aaron on the cheek, somehow causing his heart to melt further, and then turned to hug Aphmau's face.

She then turned to her dad, and made grabby hands at him, indicating she was ready to go.

“Alright sweet-pea, you ready?” Even though he looked like he'd been slapped in the face. Jeffrey smiled at his daughter as he picked her up out of Aaron's arms. For Aaron, his heart felt suddenly empty.

“Yeah… can we all hang out together soon? You too Daddy?” She asked, looking sad but hopeful. And Jeffrey looked over at his two babysitters.

“Of course! Now come on, how about I get you some ice cream?” Abby's mood immediately brightened, holding her bag over her shoulder and giggling.