Chapter 13: Visit

Malcolm's POV

Me...

Angel...

Aaron...

The things that swim around in my head as I sit on the cold stone floor.

Nothing seems right...

You killed her

You hurt him

You drunk bastard

I never meant for this...

What happened to the man who protected the innocent , who fell in love with the girl in the coffee shop.

Who had a son, who looked just like her.

I'm sorry...

Sorry won't bring her back.

I know.

And what about the rumors going around about him having a baby?

He doesn't even want you to know.

Not that I blame him, you killed his mother.

I want to be there for him...

To be his father again...

You Can't...

I can.

I sat up for the first time in five years, holding onto the bars and hoisting myself up.

My legs felt like liquid, my arms were heavy. And my voice had been lost to times embrace.

Finally with much effort, I was able to say a gruff sentence.

"Officer, I need to speak with my son."

Aaron's POV

"I don't want to talk to him." about to punch the wall I scratched the back of my arm to refrain from making a scene.

"Aaron, he's your father." Aphmau replied cautiously, knowing how sensitive I am about the subject.

"That man is not my father...

"That man is a monster."

He killed the only person who loved me.

I'm not going to let him hurt you.

I let my eyes wander to Lilith, who was now awake, she was playing with her blanket.

I'm not going to let him hurt my family.

"Well, that "monster" is on early leave. He's coming over."

No, he needs to rot in that cell.

"Aph, can you do me a favor?" I asked carefully, trying to find the right words.

"Of course Aaron, you know I would do anything for you."

"Take Lilith and go to your house. Don't come back until he is very far away." I knew what the answer would be. She's too stubborn.

"I'll let Katelyn watch her, but I'm staying here with you."

When did she get so... Compromising.

"Fine, I'll drop her off, when is "he" coming?" I replied, already having Lilith in my arms.

"Tomorrow night, but that's all he told me."

"Good, she'll stay with us tonight. In the morning I'll drop her off." I laid Lilith back down in the crib, the poor girl looked exhausted.

I smiled down at her, despite what I felt about the whole thing.

"Don't worry little one, Daddy will protect you."

The next night...

The doorbell rang, and I slowly walked to the door. Readying myself for who I was about to see.

I opened the door to find a man that I hated with such a passion that I was ashamed of having the same eyes.

"Malcolm." I said with such malice in my voice it would've made a bear recoil.

"Aaron." a gruff, scratchy voice said back.

You don't have the right.

"Well, come in. I don't want the police to have to take home a bag of snot."

"Right."

He stepped in, wiping his shoes before walking into the living room.

"Nice place." He said, he seemed to be very careful with what he said.

"Thanks." I replied in a monotone voice, even though I wanted to take off my bandana and beat him with it.

"Look, I know you came here for a reason. What is it? Come to taunt me, hurt me, or just make my life a living hell again." I pulled down my bandana further, trying to keep from hitting him right then and there.

"No." He replied bluntly, making my temper flare.

"Then why are you here? And why shouldn't I beat you to the ground for setting foot in my house?"

"Son, I don't have a reason. And if you want to send me through the side of a tree, go for it, I would deserve it." His words roused my attention because I had never seen him so... Hard to anger.

"I just came to say I'm sorry, and to give you something." He added, putting his hand in is pocket.

Too little too late, sorry won't bring mom back.

"Like what?"

He brought out a small black box, I knew what it was because I was thinking of getting one for Aph.

"This was for your mother, but now..."

He looked up at the stairs where Aphmau had been standing. He must have noticed her go up.

"It's for you."

He opened the box to reveal a promise ring. Still shining and surrounded in a thick red velvet.

"I saw how you looked at her. Was she the one who answered the phone?"

I nodded, my temper becoming a nonexistent thinking about her.

"Then give it to her, and love her every step."

You're giving me advice?, who would have guessed.

He closed the box and set on the table before striding to the door.

He had just turned the handle before he turned around and said.

"And Son, You did turn out different. And I couldn't be any prouder."