Chapter 4: Babysitters (Part 1)

Aaron tightened the bolt holding his new transmission with the wrench until it creaked under the pressure, and finally rolled out from underneath his motorcycle after spending the whole day fine tuning what could be called his magnum opus

It was midnight black with dual red stripes trailing down the back like sprint lines, and he spent most of his free time tuning it, fixing it, or just contemplating what it would look like with a different paint job.

The work with his hands helped him sort through his mind, but with the work done and no reason to take it apart again, his thoughts he'd been trying to avoid were coming back to midly inconvenience his day.

Because really, they weren't that bad.

They just nagged. Like a wife you'd been married to a year too long.

Like, for example.

What Aphmau looked like when the sun got caught perfectly in her raven hair.

Or how cute she was when she was irritated at him, because she was nearly always irritated at him.

Like he said, mild inconvenience.

He still had part of the day to mull over these inconveniences unfortunately, and sitting around was only going to amplify the problem.

He took a glance at his bike.

Well... a test drive down the Vale wouldn't hurt.

But unfortunately for him the world he lived in was cruel, the doorbell made him jump, and grumble at the thought that he wasn't going to be able to test drive his bike.

He took his time getting to the front door, since leaving college he'd never found a reason to rush anywhere, he had all the time he wanted now, people could adjust to his pace.

He dragged open the door after the doorbell rang the third time, only to be looking at the beaming face of Jeffrey, and the scowling face of his 8 year old daughter Abby.

"Aaron! Thank Irene you opened the door, I was beginning to think you'd left!" Aaron blinked, his brain not quite catching up with the minutes.

"Jeffrey? What are you doing here?" Aaron fumbled slightly over his words. He still wasn't great at talking to anyone that wasn't Aphmau.

"Did you forget I called in a favor for you to watch Abby? I have to fly into Texas, remember?" Aaron again blinked dumbly, before suddenly remembering the voice-mail left last week.

"Sorry Jeff, I was distracted. Come on in." He stepped out of the way to invite him inside, he'd known Jeffrey for awhile now, he'd even helped him get parts to fix his bike not that long ago.

Jeffrey stepped inside, pulling poor Abby behind him, who did not look thrilled to be where she was.

Jeffrey was the kind of man that would give you the clothes off his back, then offer to buy you more clothes. He always tended to have a beaming smile, even when his eyes dulled with the stress and worry that came with being a single parent.

But, he could be conniving when he needed to be. Such as right this very moment, where he releases Abby's hand so that she could wander the house, essentially cutting off 'No' as an option.