Chapter 27: The Wolf of Mystreet

Our heroes unpack their things for the one week that they have at the farmhouse. Aaron decides to take a family hike around the border, there they find something very strange....

Aaron's POV.

With Lilith on my shoulders and Aphmau by my side we walked across the side of the fence that held the cows.

"Are you serious?!, They actually did that?!"

"Yeah, gave me the whole talk when I was about six. You can imagine what went through my tiny brain."

Lilith gave me a curious expression before continuing to play with my hair.

That you need to cut.

We've talked about this.

No, I'm not a person. You're just crazy.

Shush, you.

"Hey, what's that?" Aph pointed to a large break in the fence. The edges covered in long, stark black fur.

I bent down and examined the break further, a coyote could have definitely not done that. And the fur was too thick for it to be a bear.

"Hmmmm...."

I came to the sudden realization that a cow could fit through the gap and I counted the livestock.

"1,2,3,4,5,...." I said aloud."Where's the sixth one, it was the calf?!"

I looked back at the break and found other brown colored fur, the color of the calf.

Crap

You are in SO much trouble.

"Aph can you go get me some supplies to fix this fence?" I asked, taking Lilith off my shoulders. "Afterwards I need to go look for this calf."

"Yeah. I'll take Lilith up to the house too okay." She replied, taking her by the hand.

"Thank you, I'll stay here and make sure no cows get out."

So, they fix the fence with the supplies, it didn't look very good but now at least they could find the lost calf.

"Right, Aph, do you want to help me look?" I asked looking at our amateur work.

"I have to make sure Lilith doesn't destroy the house, remember?"

"Yeah alright, I'll see you when I find it."

"Be careful, we both know what kind of fur that is." I knew she was referring to the black fur, it was one of a werewolf.

"I will be." I kissed her briefly before trudging into the forest........

An hour of walking later.....

Aaron!

"Huh!?" I looked around, but all I saw were dark trees.

I continued walking deeper into the forest, following the trial of black and brown fur, now punctuated by spots of blood.

Aaron?

It was said with a sad growl, I knew I wasn't imagining it now.

"Show yourself!" After I said it I realized how dumb it was,  I didn't bring anything to defend myself with. I was at complete mercy to this beast.

"As you wish, Alpha."

A large, black wolf-like figure, appeared out of the bushes. It's teeth bared like deadly pearls.

"Do you not remember me?, I'm not surprised, we've both changed a lot."

"Who are you?"

"You know me, we were friends for the longest time before you went off to start a family."

I tried to remember any sort of friend I he around that time, but then I remembered....

"Ashton, I thought you were dead?!"

"No, I'm not dead!, a werewolf found me and took me in. Better mother than my human one."

"But you would know all about that wouldn't you, Alpha?"

"Alpha?"

"I suppose you're confused?, You are the Alpha. You've always been stronger than me, even now I sense that you are ready to fight."

"But something is different about the way you hold yourself.  You walk like a leader, a father, an Alpha."

"How did you-"

He let out a laugh that sounded like a bark and smiled an evil toothy smile.

"Well, some things never change."

"But, if you walk it and talk it...."

He bolted at me, enclosing his claws around my arm. I tried to struggle away, knowing full well what could happen.

"Then you become it."

His claws tore through my arm like a knife through butter. My ears rang in pain, and I felt something primal lurch in my brain.

He sprinted back  into the forest, leaving me on the ground alone.

I stumbled upward and looked at my wound. It was already healing, but the damage was done.

                    There was no escape now.