Chapter 39: The Butler

I still ate, I was too hungry not to. But I did sniff it first, just to make sure it wasn't poison or sleeping powder.

The second we were all full, the food disappeared. Leaving the plates just as clean as if nothing was on them.

I checked my phone, it was almost midnight. I hadn't realized how long we had been here.

"It's getting late, we should head back to the ship." I called to everyone, getting up in the process.

"What?, Are you saying there is no beds in here?, We can just spend the night here." Travis replied, his hand over his bloated belly.

I stole a glance at Lucinda, she was shaking her head. Unfortunately I really didn't have much of a choice. Everyone except Aph, Lucinda and me had already started off to find their room.

"This place has a strange energy." Lucinda said with a strange look on her face. "I know you feel it too Aaron."

She wasn't lying, I did feel a weird presence. But there wasn't much I could do, I wasn't gonna leave them here.

"Yeah, I do. But I can't do anything. You know how stubborn they can be."

"Yes, I won't go up, I have a few things to do, you two need your sleep. I know you two haven't been sleeping that well.

"How did you-"

"You two just look tired, though that may be for another reason."

She smirked at the both of us, and against myself I blushed slightly.

"That's what I thought, You had better join the others."

So we listened, and went upstairs, the last and biggest door opened when we walked down the hallway.

Well, if you insist.

We stepped inside and the door shut behind us, the room was lit with many small candles, the bed was huge, and had a red canopy draped over it. There were rose petals everywhere. There was even a very old looking hot tub in the corner.

"I think we got the master bedroom." I said sarcastically, Uncovering the bed.

"It looks more like a date room honestly." Aphmau said, and she dipped into the covers.

"Well yeah, but hey,  the bed is huge." I joined her under the covers, bringing her closer, I felt the presence leave.

I felt all the tension in the room relax, like something was just taken off both our shoulders. Aph snuggled against me with a smile and we fell asleep.

-----

Shad!

Shad, Help us!

Dad!

Daddy!!

I woke up with a start, expecting to see the wall of our house, I was facing an old silk lined wall.
Aph was still asleep, and snuggled into my neck.

Those voices, they sound so familiar.

The door was open, and the smell of breakfast filled the room. The candles had been blown out and the petals scattered across the floor.

At the end of the hall was a small dark figure, holding plates stacked high.

Sneaking out of bed to not disturb Aph, I snuck behind the figure, who was even shorter than Aph.

Getting up right behind him, I was sure it was a him. I cleared my throat.

He jumped half a mile in the air, and wheeled around, the plates zooming into the kitchen by themselves.

"Who are you?" I asked, really trying hard not to laugh at the man's odd clothes.

He wore a large black top hat, a tailcoat that drug on the floor, and pants that sagged. he had a handlebar mustache, and blue eyes.

"Oh hello sir, you startled me, I'm not usually seen." He had a very strong English accent, but I could, at least, understand him.

"Sorry, but you didn't answer my question, who are you?" I asked again, looking down on the strange man.

"Oh, of course where are my manners, I am Bartholdi IV, the butler to this fine house."

"And you are?" He asked holding out his hand.

"Heh, Aaron, Aaron Falconclaw." I took it and shook it.

He did I double take at what I said and hurriedly bowed, his nose touched the carpet.

"Young Master Falconclaw!, It is a pleasure, when I sent your father that letter I thought for sure he would shred it."

"You sent that letter!?" I exclaimed, instantly lowering my voice when my voice echoed.

"Yes!, I certainly did, of course I was just following Shad's wishes-"

"Woah, hold on, How old are you?" I asked, how could someone be that old.

"Much older than you would think,  my friend, anyway as I was saying, Shad wanted all of his relatives to visit the house. Tradition he called it."

"So you're the one who set of me and Aph's room." I suddenly said aloud, startling myself.

"Ah yes, I thought you and the Mrs. needed some privacy."

"Wow,  thanks."

"Ah, Excuse me Young Aaron, I have breakfast to cook!" And he suddenly disappeared. Leaving me with a lot of questions.

But I turned around and walked back into our room, and went to wake Aphmau.

          It was going to be a long day.