Brotherly Love

The song I used from this chapter is called 'Brother' by Falling in Reverse. All rights to respective owners. (Sorry I couldn't get the one with the singer! I tried but none would work!)

Elijah ran his hands through his hair frantically. He was currently on his knees in front of his younger brothers. Knelt in the ashes of his childhood home, he had been trying to figure out how to move the bodies and give them a proper burial when Stefan's fingers twitched. Elijah's arm shot forward, gripping his brother tight, and laid his head on Stefan's chest, right above his heart. He could hear a faint, fluttering heartbeat. Elijah's blue eyes widened with joy, and tears streamed down his chiseled face.

"Oh my God." He buried his face in Stefan's chest, gripping him tighter and tighter. Stefan gasped loudly, his brown eyes cloudy and his breathing ragged.

"Eli..jah.." Stefan shoved Elijah off of him, and stared Elijah straight in the eye. "Why didn't you save her?" And then Stefan's heart fluttered a final, fleeting beat, and stopped.

"STEFAN!" Elijah wailed in despair, and he roughly shook his brother's body, tears falling from his eyes and on to Stefan's silk shirt. "Don't leave me," Elijah was sobbing at this point. "please, don't leave me!"

~Elijah's memory~

"We have to do things to make each other cry." Stefan explained, staring down at his older brother from the ladder in their father's private library. "Things like pranking each other, hurting each other, things of that nature." Elijah nodded in understanding.

"I'll bet you a whole fifty shillings that you can't make me cry!" Elijah stated smugly and held out his hand. Stefan shook his brother's hand firmly, smirking deviously as he did so.

"And I shall do the same."

~End of memory~

Elijah gazed tearfully at his beloved younger brother, and pulled fifty shillings out of his money pouch. He placed some coins in Stefan's hands, some in his pockets, and two on his eyes.

"Way to go, Stefan. You finally made your brother cry." Elijah whispered. He stood up, brushed the ashes off of his trousers, and took a deep breath.

"Come, Alexander." His blue eyes flashed fuchsia, and Alexander appeared at his side instantaneously.

"You called?" Alexander drawled in a bored fashion. Elijah wiped the remainder of his tears away with the back of his hand.

"Go get Celine," He pulled his silk handkerchief out of his coat pocket and tossed it to Alexander. "douse this in chloroform. Do whatever it takes to keep her alive, but bring her back here; I want to finish this ritual. Am I clear?"

"Of course, Master." Alexander swept a swift bow, and disappeared.