Sights

"Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly."

Joker watched as Doc poured laudanum, a painkiller and sleeping aid, into a small cup and place it on the bedside table.

"If she wakes up before I get back from the medical office, give her some of that. She'll be in a hell of a lot pain." He wheeled out of the tent, leaving Joker alone with the unconscious Celine. She tossed fitfully on the cot; sweat beading on her forehead. Doc had wrapped her leg in sterile white bandages, but large splotches of blood could be seen. Joker streamed his fingers through her pale hair. Her breathing hitched, and she clenched sheets. Celine whimpered in her sleep, and cried out.

"Elijah!" She had silent tears streaming down her face. "Help me!" He looked down miserably at her. "It hurts! Please Elijah!" Her voice cracked, and she clawed at the bed sheets. Gasping for air, Celine sat straight up. Joker rushed to her aid, placing his hand on her forearm.

"Are ye alright?" Her turquoise eyes were wide. She nodded, and grunted with pain. "Here, drink this. It'll make the pain go away." With a shaking hand, he picked up the small cup and placed it in her hands. Celine brought the cup to her lips, and drank deeply. She grimaced, and Joker chuckled.

"Yeah, it's don't taste that good, but it'll help ye get better." He smiled gently, and took the cup out of her hands. She yawned; laying back down on the cot. He swept the hair out of her face. He turned around, and sunk down in the chair beside the bed. He doze off slightly.

The tent flap rustled, and Ciel and Sebastian slunk silently in. Sebastian placed a hand on Joker's shoulder, jarring him awake.

"You should get some sleep, we'll take it from here." He gave him a close eyed smile while Joker rubbed his eyes lethargically.

"Ye sure? She's a handful..." He trailed off.

"We're sure. We've known Tessa for a while." Ciel interjected, growing impatient.

"Ok." Joker left the medical tent, yawning and stretching as he went.

"So now what do we do?" Ciel demanded.

"We just wait for her to wake up or for the doctor to come; whichever comes first." Sebastian explained, staring at Celine's still form. The tent flap rustled open once more, and Doc wheeled in carrying a bag of medical supplies. He stopped, and glanced up at the two standing around the bed.

"When do you think she'll wake up?" Ciel inquired, crossing his arms impatiently.

"Well, judging by the dose of laudanum I gave her, I'd say about two to three hours. If you want, I can send someone to you when she comes to."

"Yes, please." He and Sebastian walked silently out of the medical tent as Doc grabbed a roll of fresh bandages.

"I can't believe these are soiled! I just changed them a few hours ago." He sighed, and grabbed antiseptic to clean her leg before replacing the bandage. As he was wiping away the blood, he noticed the scars on her legs. Doc set the rag down, and brushed his calloused fingers on her leg, feeling the slightly raised flaws on her porcelain skin. There was the rustling of the tent flap, and Celine's leg was abruptly jerked out of his hands. Doc turned to face an annoyed William.

"I would appreciate it if you wouldn't touch her so freely, Doctor." William set her leg back on the bed.

"Oh, is she yours?" William gave Doc a disgusted look.

"No, I'm keeping an eye on her for an acquaintance." He glared at Doc. "Pervert." He muttered under his breath as he left the medical tent, adjusting his spectacles.

A few hours had passed before Celine slowly regained consciousness. Her head was throbbing, and the blood pounded in her ears. She could hear muffled voices around her. She groaned, and opened her eyes. The sunlight was blinding, and she closed her eyes. She froze.

'Wait.'

Comment and Vote please!! Happy New Years!!