Chapter 33: Wood

TOMMY

I took out the axes and passed one to Em. We went over to the nearest jungle trees, the shorter ones, and started cutting down the jungle wood for our new house.

The axe thumped against the rough bark of the tree, chopping the wood, little by little, and dropping to the ground as logs. I glanced up towards the dimming sky every few minutes. We did not have much time left. The darkness of the night was appearing at the edge of the horizon, swallowing the light of the evening.

I continued to chop the trees. I took a glance over at the log pile we had formed at the edge of the lake. There was about twenty or so logs in the pile. It might be enough.

"Em, I think we can stop now," I called over to her and heard her sigh in relief. I trudged over to the pile, exhausted by the day's work, and started crafting the wood into planks.

Night fell, like a black curtain falling across a lighted field, and the moon rose through the darkness. The silvery light of the moon shone in patches down towards the lake, its reflection shimmering on the still water surface. Finally, as the last log was crafted, the mobs started to appear.

"We'll have to fight through this," I said through my gritted teeth.