Chapter 50: Goodbyes

TOMMY

I woke up first thing in the morning and headed to the plains nearby to lure some animals to the lake. Sure enough, several chickens followed me as I led them to the pit I had dug for them. A ladder lined one wall, but they would not be able to use it.

They fell into the pit, flapping their wings to slow down their fall. By now, Aly and Em had already woken up, and they were busying themselves by making a fishing post and a farm.

At noon, we managed to make a fishing rod and I tried to fish up some food. After an hour, I had collected three salmon.

"Tommy, I'll go cook them, you can go help Em on the animals," Aly told me as I walked back to the hut. I smiled and handed her the fish.

I headed back to the hut after helping Em with the pigs for a while. The salmon was already ready on the table. I called Tommy in and we started to eat.

Aly joined us quickly and we ate in silence.

Suddenly, Aly broke the silence. "Guys, I may not stay here for long. I want to go explore," she said, gazing sadly over the table at us. I nodded. Aly had never been one to stay contently at one place.

The next day, we bid farewell to Aly as she took her items in a pack and headed off into the jungle.