Chapter 32: Silver Chain

C H A P T E R   T H I R T Y - T W O

Zayn

Looking back on that day, most of it is a blur. Like a blank space or swollen memories floating around in my head, not willing to take any shape or form. Not willing to make sense.

For months, perhaps years; I didn't remember how that day went. I remembered nothing except the fight.

The fight remains fresh in my mind. As if it took place yesterday or even today. Every word we exchanged seems as new as ever.

We got up early the next morning to take an early walk. The sun shone brightly whilst a slight breeze blew, pushing Perrie's unmade hair backwards. She looked beautiful next to me, our fingers intertwined. I had partially forgotten about the fact that 3 feet behind us was a bodyguard who could not even leave my shadow unattended in public but I did not care much about that as I stole small glances at her every chance I could get.

Despite, how late Perrie and I had gone to bed last night on account of the concert and the small party we attended, Perrie looked fresher than ever. Herface glowed due to the morning sun.

"Lovely day, isn't it?" Perrie smiled at me.

"Yeah" I smiled back bringing our intertwined hands to my mouth and kissing hers gently. It was then that I noticed that she was not wearing her ring. That made me come face to face with another realization that I hadn't seen her wearing it, not once since I been here. I remember having this talk with her about her ring before she left. She said she wouldn't be able to wear it in public since we still hadn't publically announced that we were engaged. What bothered me was that she never even wore it when we were in the hotel or any place private.

"Perrie, where's your ring?" I asked, pulling my hand away from hers. She glanced down to inspect it and looked away.

"Why ask?" she replied. It alarmed me how quickly she had fought back instead of trying to provide me with an explanation as to why she never wore it.

"Because I haven't seen you wearing it all this time that I've been here"

"Oh, so you care?" The second she said this, I felt like I had been slapped on the face. Although I had no idea what she was thinking, it was as if she doubted my feelings for her. I narrowed my eyes, unable to make sense of what she just said. Never had she let a fight escalate the way she was doing right now. It was almost as if she wanted to fight.

"What the fuck do you mean by that?" I stopped in my tracks. She looked up, alarmed by my tone.

"You know exactly what I mean" she looked away.

"Perrie, I'm not going to play games with you. What are you talking about?"

I felt someone shuffle behind us. I glanced over my shoulder, spotting the bodyguard that I had completely forgotten about. Groaning in frustration, I inched forward to whisper in Perrie's ear.