Chapter 38: Pale

C H A P T E R  T H I R T Y - E I G H T

Perrie

"Shall we get decor for the tree as well?" I inquired, stuffing my hands into the pockets of my thick jacket in attempt to return some warmth to them. Zayn walked beside me, acting as if he was completely unaffected by the cold.

"I suppose" he said, unsure. I smiled at him. Despite his uncertainty he was attempting to make me feel as optimistic about the following Christmas.

"Isn't there supposed to be a gift shop nearby?" We walked out of the farm, towards the car as I scanned the surroundings to spot a small wodden cabinet like the owner of the farm was describing.

The smell of pine trees was prominent in the air. Every step I took was upon a carpet of pine tress leaves. The entire area was a mixture of different shades of green and nothing else. The cold air occasionally caused a shiver to run down my spine but it wasn't nearly as bad as I would've considered it unelss I wasn't with Zayn.

"It's a mile from here I believe. Should we go there?" Zayn looked at me. I quickened my pace to walk right next to him, my shoulder touching his as we neared his car.

"I suppose?" I wasn't exactly sure Zayn was willing to do so much just for a Christmas tree.

He turned around and looked at me, his eyebrows raised. "You don't want to?"

"No! I do. I just thought maybe you're-" he cut me off.

"I am not going home until we buy those ornaments" he narrowed his eyes, a smirk playing around his deep pink lips which had turned into this shade due to the cold.

I laughed at his remark. "Okay"

~

One hour later we were on our way home. The backside of Zayn's car packed with Christmas tree ornaments as Zayn had insisted on buying almost every single pack just to see which one would look best. Alongside that I picked up some Christmas presents for friends and family since uptil this point I had little heart to shop for anyone.

"So the tree comes tomorrow?" Zayn asked.

"Yes. In between 9 to 2" I confirmed.

"Do you have anything to do tomorrow?"

"Not really. What about you?"

Zayn thought for a moment, his eyes fixed on the road. "I think I have a meeting but it can be rescheduled"

"No. Why do you have to reschedule?"

He narrowed his eyes and looked at me momentarily. "So I can decorate the tree with you tomorrow"

My stomach churned and twisted. I couldn't believe things had really flipped overnight like I had been fantasizing.

"Okay" I whispered.

We drove back home in a calm silence. His ocassionally caressed my hands that lay in my lap with his. We arrived home around 5 which was later than we had expected due to the London traffic.

The chilly air stinged my face as I stepped out of the warm car. I gasped unintentionally, it was far colder than I was anticipating. Zayn looked up from his side of the car where he was just closing his door.

He frowned walking over to me as I hauled all of the bags onto my arms whilst trying to protect myself from the cold. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah" I mumbled. Zayn took most of the bags from my arms despite the fact that they weren't even heavy.

"But-" I began protesting.

"It's alright" we began walking towards the front door which Zayn easily unlocked with his free hand, kicking it open with his foot instead of letting me push it aside.