Beginnings

Riley, Maya, Lucas, and Farkle had all gathered at the Matthews apartment. They had agreed that, in spite of what happened over the course of the last year, they were going to the party as a group, as friends.

The girls had just finished getting ready. The party was gonna be pretty casual and laid back, plus it was practically summer, so they dressed accordingly. After a few last minute touches, the girls appeared in the living room to join the boys.

"Riley, just so you know, Josh will be over in a little bit to watch Auggie tonight. Your dad and I are going out to see a movie." Topanga announced as the girls entered the room.

"Okay Mom. Don't forget this party ends at 12:30, so you don't have to stay up waiting for us," Riley answered.

"I won't, but I'm sure your dad will. You know how he is," Topanga replied as the buzzer sounded. It was josh. Riley walked over and buzzed him. Within moments, they heard knocks on the door. Riley opened the door to let Josh in.

"Hey Josh," Maya said as Josh walked in, clearly not expecting to walk into to the apartment full of Riley's friends, especially that particular friend.

"Where are you guys off to?" Josh asked nonchalantly, noticing the 4 of them waiting awkwardly in the living room.

"It's the Junior End of the Year party. The Seniors graduate tomorrow and tonight we celebrate becoming seniors," Farkle eagerly explained to Josh.

"The computers change over at midnight tonight and we are officially seniors," Lucas added. While this conversation was going on Cory and Topanga walked in to the room.

"Alright, kids, we are heading out. Have fun at your party. We'll see you girls when you get home tonight," Cory said as he and Topanga made their way to the door. "Goodnight," they added in unison.

"So we should get going," Farkle added, very eager to go to this party.

"I don't think I want to go anymore," Maya disputed, adding, "I'd rather babysit with Josh." Riley rolled her eyes.

"Maya you have to go. This party is once in a lifetime," Riley tried to convince her to no avail.

"Really, you guys go. I'll be fine," Maya said, having the final word. The boys gave no resistance, and as strongly as Riley felt, she knew she couldn't win.

"If you change your mind, you know where we are," Riley said, waving, as the three of them headed out the door and off to the party.

---------

After helping Auggie go to sleep, Josh returned to the living room and sat down on the couch next to Maya who was flipping through the channels.

"Maya, you should go to the party," Josh told her even though he hated to see her leave.

"Why? I'd much rather spend time with you," Maya protested as she put the remote down on the coffee table and leaned her head against his shoulder.

"Because," Josh sighed, finding her adorable like this, "Tonight, is one of those nights you only get once. You only get one party to celebrate becoming seniors. If you don't go, you'll regret it."

"I doubt it," Maya rebuffed his suggestion, making eye contact with him

"Oh, you will. Please promise me something, Maya," Josh pleaded with her, looking her earnestly right in the eye.

"Promise you what?" Maya questioned before agreeing to anything.

"Promise me you won't let your feelings for me get in the way of experiencing everything you can this next year," he responded, "Promise me that you'll go to all the parties, dances, pep rallies, and sporting events that you can with your friends. I don't want you to miss out on anything because of me."