Late

Maya and Josh had been back from their honeymoon for a couple weeks. Married life had been great for the newlyweds. Maya absolutely loved being married to Josh and he loved being married to her. They had practically become one of those adorable couples that Maya made fun of. They had become like Riley and Lucas.

One particular morning, Maya woke up after Josh had left for work and something didn't quite feel right. She paced around trying to figure why she felt off. The all of the sudden she realized what it might be. She grabbed her phone from her night stand and fired off a couple of text messages to Riley.

Maya: I need you to come over.

Maya: Now!

Riley: On my way.

Riley hadn't been going into work the past couple of days battling some wicked morning sickness, but she didn't hesitate to go over to Maya's place. She was concerned but she just wanted to get over there as soon as possible. She pulled on a pair of baggy yoga pants and one of Lucas' sweatshirts, pulling her hair in messy top not and running out of the door.

When she got to Maya's apartment she knocked a few times. Nothing. She knocked a couple more times. Now she heard Maya yell that door was unlocked and that she should come in.

"Maya?" Riley called when she entered through the door, locking it behind her to be safe, "Where are you? What's going on?"

"I'm in the bathroom," Maya answered causing Riley to walk toward the bathroom to find Maya sitting knees folded to her chest on the cold tile floor.

"What's wrong, Peaches?" Riley inquired, becoming more worried when she noticed Maya's red, puffy eyes.

"I'm late," Maya murmured softly, elaborating when she realized Riley didn't really get what she meant, "I should have gotten my period a week ago. I'm never late."

"I should get you a pregnancy test," Riley suggested in a hurry about to leave the bathroom before Maya interrupted her again.

"I have some. I already took one," Maya gestured to the box and opened package on the counter, "It says I'm pregnant. I'm not ready for this. I don't know if I can do it."

"It could be a false positive," Riley countered trying to make her feel better, "How about you take another one and we see what it says."

"Okay," Maya hesitated, before getting up and taking another test. When she was finished she placed it on the counter before returning to the seated position she was in before to wait for the results. Riley took a seat next to her, holding Maya's hand between both of hers as she tried to reassure her friend.

"Whatever that pregnancy test says," Riley said after sitting in silence for a little while, "Everything this is going to be okay. I promise."

"How do you know?" Maya responded, still not convinced this was a good thing, "How do you know I could be any good at this?"

"Because this baby," Riley began softly putting her hand briefly on Maya's stomach for a moment, "Is part you, the strongest, most amazing person I have ever known, and part Josh, the person you love most in the world and the person who loves you most. You can do anything together."

"I guess that's true," Maya smiled a little through the tears still in her eyes, her gaze locked on Riley.

"And this baby," Riley continued, her hand now on her own barely there baby bump, "Will be your baby's best friend in the whole world."

"Thanks, Honey," Maya replied, smiling bigger now, squeezing Riley's hand and resting her head on Riley's shoulder.

"You're welcome," Riley exhaled, squeezing Maya's hand back before checking the time, "It's time. We should check the test." She hopped up to check the test, picking it up from the counter and turning it over.

"So? What does it say?" Maya pressed wanting to knowing what it said, standing up to face Riley.

"You will have the most beautiful baby in the entire world," Riley answered as the biggest smile formed on her face, "It's positive." Riley handed the test to Maya, who studied it silently for moments, covering her mouth.

"Will you help me with all the baby stuff?" Maya requested as she calmed down, placing the test on the counter.

"Of course! I wouldn't miss any of this for the world," Riley agreed as they hugged tightly for many minutes. When they finally pulled apart, Riley added, "So how are you going to tell Josh?"

-

Maya stood at the stove when Josh came home from work. She was busy making dinner, trying to occupy herself, because she was so excited to tell him her news. She took a deep breath when she heard him turn the lock.

"Hi, Handsome," Maya greeted him while still stirring something in a pot, "How was your day?"

"Hey, Gorgeous," Josh replied, walking up and hugging her from behind, kissing her cheek, "I missed you, Mrs. Matthews"

"I missed you, too," Maya responded as she turned around to kiss her husband, "I have something for you to see." Maya gestured to the canvas on the easel in the corner of their studio apartment, which was covered with a sheet. "It's a painting of Riley, Lucas, and a baby for their nursery."

Josh walked over to the easel and removed the sheet. He stood there puzzled as he looked at a painting of a blonde woman, a brunette man, and a baby for a while as Maya waited for a reaction.

"It's a beautiful painting, Maya," Josh awkwardly complimented, "But this doesn't look anything like them."

"Oh wait, this painting is for OUR baby's nursery," Maya teased a bit while he still looked at the painting. Maya watched his face as it all started to click for him.

"Our what?" He stammered in disbelief at what she was saying as he turned to face Maya smiling.

"Our baby," Maya repeated with her hand on her stomach, "I'm pregnant. Are you happy?" All of the sudden Josh took her in his arms, kissing her passionately as he spun her around.

"We're having a baby!" Josh exclaimed as Maya nodded, "I am the happiest man in the world."

"You don't know how glad I am to hear you say that," Maya sighed as Josh held her in his arms, "I was a little anxious earlier when I took the tests."

"Why?" Josh questioned as he looked at her sympathetically, brushing a stray hair from her face, "Why were you anxious?"

"I didn't think I'd be any good at being a mom," Maya admitted softly, breaking eye contact with Josh for the first time during their conversation, "I see Riley getting ready for her baby and I can just see she was born to be a mom. I know I'm not like that."

"You will be an amazing mother," Josh breathed as he held her face in his hands, "Maybe you don't think you know what you are doing, but the minute you hold our baby in your arms, you'll love that baby as much as you love me and we'll figure the rest out together."

"Riley said she'd help me too," Maya added as he grabbed onto his wrists, "It takes a village, right?"

"Of course she will," Josh chuckled brushing his thumbs across her cheek, "Our baby will have the best village."

"You are the most amazing husband," Maya whispered before lightly kissing his lips, "Do you know that? You are going to be a great dad."

"You are a pretty spectacular wife yourself," Josh responded sweetly, "Speaking of, the dinner you are making smells delicious. Is it ready to eat? I am so hungry!"