Distance

Josh walked from his seat amongst his graduating classmates, carrying his mortar board, through the crowd of students and their relatives, trying to find his family.

He found his parents first and they both warmly embraced him.

"We are so proud of you son," Alan said, a little sadness in his voice with youngest child finished with college now.

"Thanks dad," Josh responded, genuinely happy to hear that.

"My baby boy is all grown up. It feels like just yesterday we brought you home from the hospital," Amy added, getting misty-eyed.

"Mom, I'll always be your baby," Josh tried to reassure her.

They were quickly joined by Cory and Topanga, Auggie, and Riley who was dragging a very willing Lucas behind her. Eric, Morgan, and Morgan's husband were going to meet up with them later, as well as Shawn and Katy.

After receiving hugs and congratulations from all of his family, he was looking for one person he wanted to see most. Maya waited off to the side because she wanted a moment all to herself with him.

"Hey gorgeous," Josh greeted Maya, who was more than thrilled to see him, as she gave him a big hug.

"I'm so proud of you Josh! You worked so hard to get here!" Maya exclaimed excitedly as Josh gave her a sheepish grin, spinning her around in his arms.

"Can we go somewhere? I have some news," Josh asked nervously.

"Sure. I have some news, too." Maya agreed anxiously. She sensed his probably wasn't good news.

"Can you guys excuse us for a second?" Josh asked his family, "You guys can go ahead to the restaurant and we'll meet you there shortly. Josh extended his hand out to Maya, who slid her fingers in between his.

He led her to a bench in an isolated part of the NYU campus, still in his robe. He sat down quietly as Maya followed suit, their fingers still laced.

"So what's your news?" Maya asked timidly, afraid of what might come next.

"Um...I got a job," Josh began hesitantly, staring down at his hands clasped around her hand.

"That's great news! Why aren't you excited about it?" Maya gazed at him as she pressed for information, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

"It's in Chicago," Josh dropped the bomb, rendering Maya speechless.

"Oh," Maya gulped as she swallowed this information. She really didn't have anything else to say.

"I know it's far, but it's an amazing opportunity and I would be foolish to say no, considering how hard it is to get a job after graduation. I was going to tell everyone at dinner, but I wanted to tell you first. I couldn't bear to blindside you with that information in front of everyone," Josh divulged in a hurry, trying to convince himself this was the right thing to do.

"Maya, please say something," he pleaded when she sat their silently taking in his news.

"When do you leave?" Maya asked, still processing what he just told her.

"Two weeks," Josh answered, looking directly at her, hoping she'd look at him.

"That's soon," Maya sighed as tears filled her eyes. Her heart ached as she thought about the 1000 miles that would soon separate them.

"I should be able to come home for Christmas but that is a busy time at work, so I might not get home until New Year's Eve," Josh continued trying to make her feel better.

Maya just sat there quietly as the tears in her eyes started streaming down her cheeks. Josh noticed and turned her face toward him so she was looking into his eyes.

"Maya," Josh whispered as he wiped her tears with his thumbs, "Long distance isn't so hard. With technology, we can text and talk every day. I would be living off campus anyway and with work we wouldn't be seeing each other as much anyway."

"I know," Maya sighed, "But I love you so much, I can't even imagine going that long without seeing you, without being in your arms."

"I love you, too. I will try to come back on some weekends," Josh offered, hoping to cheer her up, "I can't make any promises of when yet, but I'll do everything I can."

"Okay," Maya accepted, nodding as he held her face in his hands, "I am going to miss you so much."

"You have no idea," Josh responded as his kissed her deeply, knowing how badly he'd miss her too. He wrapped his arms around her and rested his chin on her head. He knew he'd never be ready to say goodbye to her.

"Didn't you say you had some news?" Josh asked after they sat quietly for a while, trying to lighten the mood.

"Yeah, I did," Maya answered, wiping her tear stained cheeks. "My mom and Shawn are having a baby. The baby is due around Valentine's Day."

"That's awesome! You've always wanted a sibling! And Valentine's Day is a great birthday, if I do say so myself," Josh replied excitedly at the news, especially that the baby might share his birthday.

"Yeah, I am very excited," Maya said smiling through her tears, finding the news more bittersweet with Josh's news clouding over her.

"I'm sure your Mom will keep you very busy getting ready for the baby," Josh added trying to make her feel better given their circumstances.

"I suppose," Maya replied quietly fiddling with her fingers, before Josh slid his in between hers, causing her to look up to his sympathetic gaze.

"We should probably head to the restaurant. Let's not think about me leaving. That's two weeks away. Let's just focus on being together now," Josh suggested, hating how much this hurt her.

"Okay," Maya agreed, her hand still in his, as she stood up when he did. The two walked silently through the campus in the direction of his car.

"Maya," Josh whispered as he slowed down when his car came into sight and kissed the back of her hand, "We will get through this."

"What makes you so sure?" Maya challenged him, as she always did, sincerely wanting some reassurance.

"I love you. I will always love you," Josh answered with a smile before walking the rest of the way to the car, "That is all that matters."