Eighteen

As she had for as long as she could remember, Maya spent her 18th birthday with the Matthews and her mom, and as always the celebration was at the Matthews' apartment. Since she turned 14, Shawn hadn't missed her birthday either.

They all had given her very thoughtful gifts. Her mom and Shawn got her a ring with a small script M on it, which immediately took its place on her right ring finger, two over from the friendship ring Riley got her years earlier.

Cory and Topanga got her a watercolor set and an easel, keeping a tradition of getting her art supplies as gifts, which she loved, and Riley bought her a jacket she kept dropping hints that she wanted. She loved them all.

Josh didn't have anything for her, but she didn't mind, they still hadn't defined their relationship. She just loved that he came. She grew to find value in the little things. Not because there weren't any big things, but she just realized the little things were even more important.

After the cake had been devoured, the party started winding down.

"I really need to get back to study for a final first thing tomorrow morning," Josh interjected amidst the mingling.

"Do you really have to go?" Auggie objected.

"Sorry buddy," Josh apologized, "You and I can do something tomorrow after it's over." Auggie agreed. Josh hugged and said goodbye to the group before making his way to the door.

"I'll walk you out," Maya offered, taking advantage of the time with him. She followed him into the hallway and the out to the front step. She stopped at the first step and took a seat there, listening to the ambient noise around her. Josh, a few steps further, backpedaled and took a seat next to her.

They sat in silence for a few moments before Maya ventured, "Thanks for coming."

"There's nowhere else I'd rather be," Josh replied with a timid smile, "Did you have a good birthday?"

"Yeah, I really did," Maya answered, smiling back, "I can't believe I graduate in two weeks. It feels like just yesterday was the first day of ninth grade."

"I know," Josh agreed. For a few moments they just sat there, knees and elbows touching, enjoying each other's company and not wanting to say goodbye.

There was an elephant on that stoop with them, however. Though neither knew how to address it, this night was an important one for them. Since he made that deal with her, both had looked forward to this night, but now what?

Impulsively, Maya did the first thing she thought of to break the tension. She snatched the beanie Josh had been wearing, his favorite one no less, and pulled it on over her blonde waves with a smile on her face. She looked him right in the eyes for many moments waiting for him to react.

Normally he'd be upset, but seeing it on her, it looked better her that it ever would on him. Plus he knew she loved it. She used to take it from him to get his attention, only to let him take it right back.

Somehow now everything was different. Not all at once, but he was becoming more and more aware of it every day. It was no secret to anyone who knew them that their relationship had changed dramatically since she started high school. It was gradual, but during the last year he had realized how much he loved just seeing her.

He'd make plans with Auggie on weekends just to cross paths with her. He had decorated the bakery just to dance with her for her prom for crying out loud!

Just sitting next to her now made his heart race. It scared him. He had never felt like this before. As though it was out of his control Josh leaned close to Maya and kissed her. It was more than a peck but it was gentle and lasted for more than a few seconds.

After he pulled back, she kept her eyes closed for a moment to process what just happened. She had dreamed of this for 4 years and yet it was nothing like she expected. A smile slowly formed across her face.

"I love you, Maya," Josh whispered, "Do you still...?" He stammered trying to get the last part out, not sure what to say. Maya stared at her hands for a moment, before sliding her fingers between his.

"I've been in love with you since I was fourteen," Maya responded, making eye contact with him, "Of course I still do."

"Ugh," Josh said, looking at his watch, "I don't want to leave but I really have to go study." Josh stood up and walked down a few steps only releasing her fingers when he had too. "Goodnight, Maya," he added with a smile, unable to take his eyes off her.

"Goodnight, Josh," Maya replied, the smile on her face only getting bigger, before remembering the hat on her head, "Wait, don't you want your hat back?" She asked, taking it off her head and holding it out to him.

"Keep it. It's yours...Just like I am," Josh responded before walking off into the night, but not before calling over his shoulder, "Happy Birthday, Maya Penelope Hart."

Maya just sat there, holding his hat to her chest before putting it back on her head and standing up to go inside.