Paris

There were so many emotions filling the group. Excitement was bursting for the four of them, especially Riley and Lucas. There were nerves for the parents and their children as this was the first big trip they were going on without any parents and they would be in another country on another continent.

There was even a little dread. That was mostly reserved for Maya and Josh, though Cory had his share of it, his daughter being with her boyfriend in another country.

Amidst all the hustle and bustle of goodbyes, hugs, smiles, tears, and fishing for passports, Maya stood quietly next to Josh, her hand practically glued to his.

It was about time for the four students to say their last goodbyes and head through security, but Maya just couldn't let go. She just stared at her fingers between his.

"Maya, come on! It's time to go!" Riley called as she headed toward the security line. Her friends looked at her earnestly waiting for her to join them. Josh, sensing her hesitation, released her hand and gave her a hug.

"Remember, this isn't a goodbye, this is a see you later," Josh tried to console her, as she fought back tears, "You can do this."

"I hate that I have to go without you," Maya breathed, looking up at him, knowing he was right.

"Go have an adventure, Maya, and enjoy every moment," Josh whispered, wiping away the tear that streamed down her cheek, "I'll be right here waiting with open arms when you get back."

She gave him one last hug and kiss, lingering for a moment, before letting go of him, trying her best to smile. Maya walked over to join Riley in line, giving Josh one last look over her shoulder. He just stood there watching her go until he couldn't see her anymore.

---------

The four friends sat on the grass, the warm sun streaming as the Eiffel Tower stood just beyond them.

"I can't believe we are actually here," Riley mused, while she sat on Lucas' lap. Farkle sat across from them deeply immersed in one of the books from their classes. Maya, meanwhile, was sprawled out on her stomach on the other side of their blanket, drawing something furiously.

"Me neither. This is amazing," Farkle agreed, ironically, as he was still flipping through the text book he insisted on bringing along. Lucas just chuckled into Riley's ear, his laughter her favorite sound, lightly kissing her cheek.

"You do realize we are in one of the most beautiful cities in the world and you have your nose in a textbook, Farkle?" Lucas questioned their always studious friend.

"Yeah, Farkle, there is so much to enjoy here. You have all of college to keep your nose in a book," Riley agreed with her boyfriend.

"Aren't we here for a study program?" Farkle countered, bluntly, "We are supposed to learn something here."

"Learning doesn't just mean a book," Lucas replied looking around him, "You can learn from experiencing too."

"Sure, whatever," Farkle remarked a little snidely, before turning his attention to Maya's sketchbook, "Maya, what are you drawing?"

"Uh, nothing really," Maya responded, snapping from her deep immersion in her picture.

"Nothing!? Maya this isn't nothing," Riley swiftly rebuffed her friend's nonchalant answer as she took the book from her best friend, "Look at this." She held it up for Lucas and Farkle.

Everyone's gaze went to the extremely detailed sketch of Josh. She had been drawing him from memory. She drew him as though he was standing in front of her.

His favorite t-shirt was hugging his muscular frame, his hands stuffed in his pockets and his wavy bangs poking out of one of his ever present beanies. His face was impossible to miss. His lips were just barely upturned into a small smile and his eyes glistened, you could almost see their deep blue in her black and white pencil sketch.

"Wow, Maya, it looks like a photograph," Farkle fawned over the work for many moments.

"You know what this reminds me of?" Lucas asked, turning his attention back to Riley.

"What?" Riley asked lightly as she played with his hair between her fingers.

"It reminds me of art class in middle school when the teacher discovered Maya's talent for art. Do you remember when I said something to you in French that one day?" Lucas replied before asking another question.

"Yeah, I never did figure out what you said," Riley answered curiously, "And now I don't really remember. Are you gonna tell me now?"

"I said, 'Peut-être un jour moi et vous serez Paris à ensemble," which means, 'Maybe, one day, me and you will be in Paris together,'" Lucas responded bashfully, as Riley hung on every word. She loved listening to him speak French.

"Really? That's so sweet, Lucas. It would have been sweeter if I had understood it then, but better late than never. I'm so glad that it has come true. I can't imagine being here without you," Riley responded, taking his face in her hands and kissing him, a little like the first time, but better.

She paused after a moment realizing what she had just said, looking over at her best friend still drawing her picture. Lucas followed her gazed, reading her mind.

"We shouldn't be rubbing it in her face that we get to be here together and she doesn't get to share this with Josh," Riley said softly to which Lucas nodded, being very understanding as she knew he would be.

"Un jour, vous et moi, il sera à Paris à nouveau ensemble," Lucas whispered into her ear, sending a tingle down her spine. Riley, now more fluent in French, understood him very well this time around and couldn't keep herself from smiling.

"I can't wait," Riley answered softly, trying to contain her excitement. She left a light kiss on his forehead before they returned their attention back to their friends. Riley wanted to enjoy every moment of this time the four of them would be together. All too soon, it would be over.