A Promise

After all the guests had left her 18th birthday, Riley returned to her bedroom. She was in the middle of her first year of college, but she still chose to spend her 18th birthday at her house with her longtime friends and family. She turned on some music, choosing a favorite playlist.

Riley loved college. She really was born for it. She found something magical about living in a dorm. She got along just fine with her roommate, though she wasn't Maya. It was hard for her to go to a different school than her best friend, but she did have Lucas.

Riley loved photography but she wanted it to just be a hobby. She was still figuring out what she wanted to major in but Lucas was following his longtime dream to become a vet. He was studying veterinary medicine and she could tell he loved every second of it.

She heard a tap on the glass pane as she sat on her window seat humming along to the music. She looked to see that Lucas had returned and was smiling at her through the window. A very surprised Riley pulled the window up to allow her boyfriend in.

"Hey, Birthday Girl," Lucas greeted her as he climbed into her room, "How does it feel to be eighteen?"

"Not much different than seventeen," Riley replied, "But I know that won't last long."

"Did you enjoy your party?" Lucas asked, knowing full well the answer since he was at the party himself.

"Of course I did, but you know that because you were just here," Riley responded, realizing this seemed a little familiar, "Why did you come back this time?"

"Do I need a reason? Just to see you," Lucas replied somewhat dishonestly, "It's nice to get to spend time with you. We don't get to spend time just the two of us all that often."

"You see me all the time," Riley challenged, "Plus if you are willing to let my dad catch you in here, it must be for a better reason than that. I know you like the risk but just to see me probably isn't worth the trouble."

"Okay, you got me. I do have a much better reason. I have one more present for you," Lucas answered timidly, pulling a small velvet box from his pocket.

"Lucas, what did you do?" Riley asked, immediately concerned of what her father would think if Lucas was doing what she was thinking he was, "My dad might kill you. Yep, he'd going to kill you dead."

"No, no, no, this isn't that," Lucas reassured her before clearing his throat a bit and opening the small box to reveal a silver necklace with a pendant of two knotted hoops, "But I will. One day when the time is right, when we are a little older, I will. I'll ask your dad's permission, and I'll buy a ring. One day I'll get down on one knee and ask you to spend the rest of your life with me. This necklace is a promise of that. A promise that I will always love you, and one day I plan to marry you. The circles go on forever intertwined and so will we. If you ever question how I feel about you just look at this necklace and remember that like a circle my love for you goes on forever."

"Really?" Riley asked, stunned by everything Lucas had just said, "You mean that?"

"Really. I mean every word," Lucas confirmed, smiling at Riley as he always did.

"Lucas, it's beautiful," Riley gasped as she ran her finger around the circle.

"No, Riley, you are beautiful," Lucas countered, redirecting her attention back to him, "This is just icing on the cake."

"Would you help me put it on?" Riley asked handing the necklace back to him, "Please?"

"Always," Lucas answered, removing the necklace from the box, and putting around her neck as Riley pulled her hair off her neck and turned her back to him. Riley admired the piece of jewelry, as she held the pendant between her fingers. Lucas lightly kissed her cheek as he silently watched her.

"Thank you, Lucas," Riley said softly, "I love it and I love you." She took his face in her hands, just like the first time, and she kissed him. This kiss was different, though. She kissed him passionately and didn't want to stop as she threw her arms around his neck.

After a moment she pulled back. She stood and walked to admire her new necklace in the mirror. All of the sudden a song came on and Riley spun back around to face Lucas.

"This is one of my favorite songs," Riley squealed when she recognized the song, "Dance with me?" She walked to toward Lucas and extended her hand to him.

"I'd love to, Riley," Lucas smiled ever so sweetly back at her as he laced his fingers between hers and rose to his feet.

Riley put her arms around his neck, resting her hands on the back of his head as she played with the hair above his collar. He put his arms around her back as he leaned down, lightly resting his forehead against hers.

"Lucas?" Riley whispered as she looked into his eyes.

"Yeah?" Lucas whispered back matching her gaze.

"One day," Riley continued repeating some of what Lucas had said to her, "When the time is right and we are a little older, when you ask my dad's permission and buy a ring, and when you get down on one knee and ask me to spend the rest of my life with you...I'll say yes."

"Really?" Lucas asked echoing Riley's sentiment from moments before, but not completely surprised.

"Promise. One day I plan to marry you, too," Riley answered, smiling, feeling as confident in her future with Lucas as he was.

"Good," Lucas added, smiling back, "Because I always thought you would." Lucas playfully spun Riley around as he kissed her again.