Mistletoe

Riley bounced around the kitchen so excited to help with this very special meal. Cooking was never a particularly strong point for her but she desperately wanted to learn this particular meal which was so important to her family. She also wanted to impress Lucas, not that she needed too.

Topanga had been making Christmas for eight years now using Amy's recipe, just like that first year, Amy and Alan were at the apartment as was Shawn. Additions to that group in attendance this year were Lucas, obviously, and very pregnant Katy. The only notable absence was Josh who wasn't able to come back home for Christmas due to his new job.

Riley and Topanga had spent the better part of the last week getting ready for Christmas dinner. Riley had a great appreciation for her mom, who had done this all alone for years. Topanga was a natural hostess, though, a trait Riley hoped she inherited.

Everything was going very well until the last few dishes were in the oven. Everyone was visiting around the dinner table until a smell started wafting from the oven. When it hit Riley's nose, she ran frantically to open the oven door.

It wasn't really as bad as it looked to Riley but just seeing the dark top on the casserole was enough to make her want to give up. Topanga quickly solved the problem scraping the burnt bits off the top and tossing them aside to reveal a perfectly edible dish.

Riley threw her hands up in defeat before covering her face. She quickly left the kitchen and walked to a spot across the room. Lucas quickly followed her, lightly holding her when he reached where she stopped.

"I'm sorry I ruined dinner," Riley said softly, still coving her face with her palms, "I just wanted everything to be perfect."

"You didn't ruin anything," Lucas chuckled, reassuring her, "So it wasn't perfect. It doesn't need to be. I am thrilled to be here with you and so is everyone else. They rest really doesn't matter."

"Really?" Riley questioned that he was just saying all of this to make her feel better.

"Really," Lucas replied, brushing the residual flower from her cheeks, which made her laugh, his favorite sound. "Hey, look," he added looking up to the mistletoe which hung on the rafter above their heads.

"Mistletoe," Riley acknowledged with a smile as she looked up at it before looking back at him.

"You know what this means," Lucas teased her, thankful for an excuse to kiss her. That's all he wanted to do most of the time. "It's a Christmas rule."

"If we have too," Riley teasingly protested, though she really didn't need any encouraging.

Riley smiled at Lucas as he playfully kissed her, wrapping his arms fully around her. She could feel his smile as she kissed him back until their laughter became contagious and too overwhelming. They returned to the table and joined her family to enjoy the meal.

After dinner was over it became too much for Maya to be around all of the happy couples when she was alone, so she went to sit by herself on the bay window. Cory noticed Maya off to the side, went over and sat down next to her.

"Josh gave this to me when he knew he wouldn't be home for Christmas," Cory told Maya as he handed a small box and an envelope to her. The box had a small bow on top and her name was written on the front of the envelope in Josh's familiar scrawl.

Maya put the box on her lap as she fiddled with the envelope between her fingers. After a few moments she turned the envelope over and opened it, pulling out the letter. As she unfolded it she read the message in his handwriting on the page:

Maya,

It kills me that I'm not with you this Christmas. If I could, I would be there in a heartbeat. I keep thinking of words to a Christmas song, "I'll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams." I wish that were enough right now, but it doesn't feel like it is.

Even though I couldn't be there, I wanted to get you something nice. I really hope you like it, it's not much but I hope it reminds you that you carry my heart with you.

I love you, Maya Penelope Hart. I will hold you in my heart until I can hold you in my arms.

Merry Christmas Gorgeous,

Josh

She was taken aback by his emotionally earnest words, bringing her hand up to cover her mouth, fighting tears from her eyes.

She opened the small box to reveal a chain bracelet with a heart pendant. It was engraved on one side with I will hold you in my heart... and on the other side with ...until I can hold you in my arms.

She couldn't hold tears back anymore. She had never received this meaningful of a gift. And she was wearing the locket her mom gave her when she turned 14, the friendship ring from Riley, and the ring her mom and Shawn gave her when she turned 18.

And yet, holding this simple chain bracelet, with the heartfelt engraving on the heart, was so special to her. Mostly because it was given to her from a boy that loved her and that she missed so much.

"Peaches," Riley addressed Maya as she saw the tears in her best friend's eyes, "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, Honey, I'm great," Maya responded with a big smile as she wiped the last of tears from her cheeks. Riley put her arm around the blonde, allowing Maya to rest her head on her shoulder. After a few moments Riley noticed the box still in Maya's hands.

"What's that?" Riley asked curiously as she gestured to the gift.

"Josh left me a present with your dad," Maya answered as she passed the box to her friend so she could see it.

"It's beautiful!" Riley exclaimed, admiring the bracelet as Maya nodded in agreement, "Josh did a great job."

"Yes he did," Maya just couldn't help but smiling, feeling so special he put so much effort in picking that out for her.

"Is it time to open presents already?" Lucas asked as he noticed the girls admiring Maya's gift.

"I don't see why not," Riley answered as Lucas walked over to her. She rose and walked over to grab his present from where she had placed it under the tree as Lucas pulled hers from his pocket. Then they met up in the middle of the room.

"Open mine first," Riley said excitedly as she handed the small, nicely wrapped box to Lucas. He carefully opened the box to reveal a leather box that he opened to reveal a watch. The watch had a dark blue face with a silver frame and rich brown leather strap.

"Riley, this is a really nice watch," Lucas commented as he admired it, "Thank you very much."

"Look at the buckle," Riley added as gestured to the underside of the watch. Lucas turned it over to see 'I LOVE YOU' engraved on the silver buckle. Lucas undid the buckle and proceeded to put the watch on his wrist.

"I love you too, Riley," Lucas responded as he sweetly kissed her before admiring the watch more, "And I really do love your gift."

"You're welcome! I'm so glad you like it," Riley replied, so pleased her gift was well received.

"Okay, you're turn," Lucas redirected as he handed her the tiny, simply wrapped box from his pocked, "It's not as special as this watch, but I hope you like them."

Riley eagerly opened unwrapped the box and opened it to find a small felt box. She opened the felt box to reveal a pair of sterling silver heart shaped earrings.

"Lucas," Riley gasped as she admired the shiny studs, "They're beautiful. Thank you so much Lucas. I love them. They'll go perfectly with my necklace." Riley lifted the promise necklace Lucas had given her earlier that year.

"It's a great match," Lucas smiled at how well they really did go together.

"Just like we are," Riley added as she leaned up to kiss him again, "Merry Christmas, Lucas."

"Merry Christmas, Riley," Lucas replied as he eagerly kissed her back before they joined the rest of the group to continue exchanging gifts.