Be Mine

"So, how do I look?" Maya asked Riley as she spun around in front of her mirror. Riley was helping her get ready for a Valentine's date with Josh. They picked a short-sleeved red dress with silver heels. Riley had done Maya's hair in braids and wrapped them around her head into an up do.

"You look beautiful, Maya," Riley, wearing a red sweatshirt with a big white heart, black leggings and white cable knit booties, her hair in a top knot, beamed at her best friends, so proud of her finished creation, 'You are going to have an amazing night with Josh."

"Are you sure that it's okay that I go?" Maya asked hesitantly, "I know you have been giving Lucas his space and you didn't want to push him into going out, but I don't want to leave you alone."

"I'll be fine. I can order a pizza and watch Sleepless in Seattle at my apartment," Riley responded, "Lucas and I will have plenty of Valentine's Days. I can spend this one alone."

"Well I know you aren't fine, but I do really want to go out with Josh," Maya responded, taking one more look in the mirror before she heard a knock on her own apartment door, "That's him."

Riley sat on Maya's bed as the blonde trotted excitedly into her living room to answer the door. After a moment, Riley moved to the doorway, leaning against the frame, to watch as Maya opened the door and to see her uncle's reaction.

"Hey, handsome," Maya greeted him as she opened the door. Josh stood before her in a sport coat, dress shirt and jeans.

"Wow, you look gorgeous," Josh gawked sweetly at his girlfriend as Maya just smiled, before noticing Riley in the doorway behind Maya, "Hi niece! How's Howdy doing?"

"He's getting better," Riley answered timidly, "but he's not all the way back yet. Who knows if he'll ever be?"

"You're not going out tonight?" Josh continued curiously.

"No. I don't think he's ready yet," Riley sighed, trying not to get down about it.

"Don't worry, you'll have more Valentine's Days," Josh tried to reassure her, not knowing she didn't need it.

"I know," Riley answered with a laugh, "I should get going, but you two have a great time."

"We will, Honey," Maya answered sweetly as Riley grabbed her stuff and headed out the door.

"Love you, Peaches," Riley replied, turning back before heading down the hall, "Take good care of her, Uncle Josh."

"Shall we?" Josh offered Maya her coat and then his arm before the two headed off to their date.

-

Riley fumbled with her keys as she approached her apartment door. She stuck the key in the old lock. After a few wiggles with the lock, she got the door unlocked. As she opened it she couldn't believe what she saw.

Lucas was standing in her living room. He had filled the room with candles, made something delicious smelling for dinner, and from the looks of it, he already had Sleepless in Seattle.

"Lucas, what did you do...?" Riley gasped as she marveled at his efforts and trailed off as she leaped into his arms, Lucas spinning her around.

"Hey, City Girl," Lucas whispered into her ear before putting her down.

"This is so pretty," Riley added as she stepped back and turned around, taking it all in.

"You've been there for me so much over these last few weeks," Lucas admitted, as she turned back to face him, with that smile that made her weak in the knees, "You deserve a very special Valentine's Day."