Goodbye

"I thought we were going to watch a movie?" Riley asked, giggling between Lucas' kisses. He peppered her with kisses as he hovered over her, holding himself up on his hands. She did enjoy the affection, but she did sincerely want to watch the movie.

"Were we? I guess I just like kissing you so much," Lucas teased after a few more pecks." I also like doing this," Lucas leaned back on his knees as the pair began to catch their breath. After a moment his hands went to her midsection, eliciting squeals.

"Lucas! Stop!" Riley shrieked with laughter as he tickled her, secretly loving it. He continued tickling her, her laugher quickly becoming contagious and causing him to burst out with chuckles of his own, until his phone when off.

"It's my mom. I should take this," Lucas panted as he pulled his phone from his back pocket. He climbed off of the bed and answered his phone. Riley remained lying on her back on her bed as she heard the tone grow serious and Lucas' voice become quiet.

"What? When?" Riley picked up from Lucas's conversation. She could tell something was wrong, so she sat up on her bed. Lucas was facing the door, his back to her, but she could tell he was covering his face. Riley's heart was breaking as she saw one of the strongest people she knew starting to fall apart right before her eyes.

"I love you, too, Mom. Bye," Lucas said before pushing the end call button on his phone. After a deep breath and wiping his face, he put his phone down on the desk and turned to face Riley.

"Lucas, what's wrong?" Riley asked softly as she sat on the edge of the bed, giving him his space for the moment.

"Pappy Joe had a heart attack this morning. He didn't make it," Lucas stumbled as he began to cry, barely able to get the last part out. He fought back the tears as he stood there.

"Oh Lucas, I am so sorry," Riley responded, truly sad to hear Lucas's grandpa had passed away. She knew nothing she could say was going to change what happened. Riley was very fond of Pappy Joe and was special to all of their friends since they had met him in middle school.

Riley didn't say anything else she just followed his lead. With his face still covered, he made his way to sit down next to her on the bed. She just sat in silence, wanting to take his pain away, but also just wanting to be there for him in whatever way he needed.

She softly rubbed his back not sure what to do. She quickly noticed that as she did, he leaned close to her. She instinctively turned her body toward him and buried his face in her chest. She put her arms around him as he released the emotions he had been building up.

They sat this way until his sobs quieted, Riley continuing to rub his back. She didn't move until she could feel him pulling away from her embrace. She released her arms as his eyes met her. She wipes the tears from his cheeks as she waited for him to speak.

"Thank you, Riles," Lucas said softly, trying to smile, "I can't believe he is gone. I just keep thinking about the summers I spent with him when I was little."

"Yeah?" Riley whispered, holding his hands as they found hers in her lap, "Sometimes remembering the happy moments helps."

"Can I stay here tonight?" Lucas asked Riley earnestly. Though her 20 year old boyfriend sat across from her, he looked at her like a little boy whose dog just died.

"Of course you can," Riley answered, smiling sweetly, rubbing his hands with her thumbs.

"Thanks," Lucas said softly, bringing her hand to his lips, kissing it lightly, "I'm getting kind of tired."

Without another word, Riley stood up and pulled the blankets back on her bed. Riley climbed into bed and Lucas followed suit. She laid down on her back and Lucas snuggled up close to her, resting his head near her heart. He enveloped her torso with his arms. Riley wrapped her arms around his neck, stroking his hair ever so slightly until he fell asleep.