Best Friend

Riley, Lucas, Maya, Zay, Farkle, and Smackle had all recently graduated from college. They had convinced their parents to have a joint party because they wanted to share this together before life sent them in different directions.

The party, as so many did, started in Topanga's, and, once the group was reduced to Riley, her five good friends and their families, ended up back at the Matthew's apartment. They caught up with each other on what all of their plans were after college.

To take a break from it all, Riley found herself in her childhood bedroom for the first time in what felt like forever. She walked around looking at the pictures and mementos that she left behind as she remembered all of the significant moments that happened in her room.

She lost herself in the pictures of her and Lucas, her and Maya, and her with the other important people in her world. She was so deep in thought she never heard the door open. She hadn't even noticed Lucas in the doorway until he spoke.

"What are you thinking about, City Girl?" Lucas asked, snapping her from her thoughts and directing her gaze to where he stood. He leaned against the doorframe as he casually folded his arms across his chest, "Are you worried about something?"

"I'm just wondering what the future holds," Riley admitted, sighing sadly, "Is this the last time we'll all be together?"

"We've all been friends for nearly ten years," Lucas responded with a chuckle, "Something tells me we'll all be friends forever, no matter how much distance is between us." He started walking toward her before sitting down next to her.

"I hope so," Riley whispered before sliding her fingers between his and resting her head on his shoulder. "You and I have shared so many special moments here," Riley mused after a moment smiley at the memories, "You kissed me here for the first time and you filled my room with balloons to ask me to prom."

"Do you remember the last time we were here?" Lucas posed the question as brought the back of her hand to his lips.

"Of course, I do," Riley answered knowingly, as she lifted her head and looked at him before bringing her free hand to the pendant that rested on her sternum, "It was when you gave me this."

"On your eighteenth birthday. I told you, 'One day when the time is right, when we are a little older, I will. I'll ask your dad's permission, and I'll buy a ring. One day I'll get down on one knee and ask you to spend the rest of your life with me,'" Lucas began, causing Riley to gasp, bringing back to her what he said then, "Now, we are a little older. And I asked your dad's permission. And I bought a ring." Lucas released her hand and pulled a velvet box from his jacket pocket before continuing, "So I'm going to get down on one knee and ask you to spend the rest of your life with me."

Riley was still speechless as Lucas paused and got down on one knee. He took her left hand in his and smiled up at her. She could see in his gaze how much he loved her.

"Riley, will you...," Lucas began as Riley fought back her emotions.

"Yes!" Riley interrupted excitedly as she often did.

"Make me...," Lucas continued though she hadn't interrupted him.

"Absolutely," Riley interjected again reminiscent of her reaction when Lucas proposed for Farkle when they were in middle school.

"...the luckiest man...," Lucas kept going, not fazed by Riley jumping in every few words.

"Any time at all," Riley continued as she had before.

"...in the world...," Lucas added, almost to the end of his question.

"Whatever you want," Riley finished unable to contain her happiness at this point.

"And marry me?" Lucas finished his question as relief visibly swept over him.

"Do you not understand yes, Lucas Friar?" Riley reiterated as Lucas slipped the beautiful ring on her finger. It had a bigger round diamond in the middle and three little ones down the band on each side.

As soon as it was on her finger, Lucas rose to his feet as Riley threw her arms around him they kissed like they couldn't wait to kiss each other for the rest of their lives. When Lucas pulled back he saw the tears still in her eyes.

"What is it?" Lucas asked softly as he took her face in his hand wiped her tears, "You want to marry me, right?"

"More than anything in the world," Riley answered directly before sighing, "But I have to talk to Maya."

"Of course you do," Lucas smiled understanding, lacing his fingers with both her hands and kissing her forehead, "Wait here, I'll go get her." Lucas disappeared down the hall. Moments later Maya appeared at Riley's window, like old times.

"Honey, what's wrong?" Maya asked once she climbed in through the window, "Why are you crying?"

"Lucas asked me to marry him," Riley answered through her tears, holding up her left hand, as Maya took her right one.

"But that's good news," Maya responded, very puzzled by her friends reaction, "You've wanted to marry him for a while now."

"I know. I do want to marry Lucas," Riley replied, still emotional as she tried to speak, "I need you to tell me it is okay to say yes."

"Of course it's okay Riley," Maya reassured her, "He makes you happy and all I want is for you to be happy."

"But if I say yes, that means he is the person I love most in the world," Riley continued, "And ever since we met, that has always been you."

"That's okay, Riley," Maya countered, "It's okay that you love him more."

"And it's also going mean that Lucas is my best friend now," Riley finished, the tears coming faster now, not wanting to hurt Maya.

"Oh," Maya sighed, tears filling her own eyes, as Riley's point and her bad feelings about change hit her like a ton of bricks, "I didn't think about that."

"Oh, Peaches, don't cry," Riley gasped when she saw how upset she was making Maya, "I didn't want to make you sad."

"You should say yes," Maya told her, now holding both of Riley's hands in hers, their eyes locked as Maya wiped the tears that rolled down Riley's cheek, "Because you do love him more than anyone else in the world and because he is your new best friend. And because this is how it's supposed to be. That's how you know he's the one you are supposed to say yes too."

"That's beautiful, Maya," Riley responded as she wiped tears from Maya's cheeks, "When you are my maid of honor, please say something beautiful like that."

"Of course I will," Maya agreed as she wiped away some of Riley's tears too, "I may not be your best friend anymore, but we'll always be sisters."

"Always," Riley approved as the two hugged for a long time.

"You can get back in here Huckleberry," Maya called into the hall when they finally released their embrace, knowing he couldn't be far away."

"Everything okay now?" Lucas asked when he entered the room, seeing both wiping their eyes but smiling.

"Everything's perfect," Riley answered as Maya stood up and moved toward him.

"Nice work on the ring," Maya said, giving Lucas a congratulatory hug, "She's all yours."

"Thanks, Maya," Lucas replied as Maya went toward the door and Lucas moved toward Riley.

Maya watched from the doorway for a moment, smiling as she watched the happy couple kiss and then embrace, a stray tear rolling down her cheek. Then she took a deep breath and left them alone to go find Josh.