Costumes

Riley, Maya, Lucas, Farkle, Zay, and Smackle found themselves reunited for the first time since they had headed off to school for their sophomore year two months before. There were gathered around warm beverages at the café, their usual hang out, as it had been since middle school. All but Farkle and Smackle, who were attending Harvard in Boston and home for the weekend, were attending schools in or near New York City.

Naturally the couples sat next to each other. Riley and Lucas were on one side of the coffee table and Farkle and Smackle on the other. Between them, Maya and Zay sat. While pretty good friends, they were the antithesis of a couple. Instead they were just the fifth and six wheels to the other couples. It worked for them.

It was the day before Halloween and they had yet to decide if they were going to do something to celebrate. They decided they were too old to go trick or treating but the consensus was that they would rather go out and do something rather just staying in and watching scary movies as they often did.

"Do you guys want to go to the Alpha Chi Omega Costume Party tomorrow?" Riley suggested, very much interested in going to annual party thrown by her new sorority, but she wouldn't hesitate to skip it to hang out with her friends.

"That could be fun," Maya ventured seeing that Riley wanted to go. There was definitely part of her that was more than game for a distraction from missing Josh. Like breathing, missing him was constant and something she couldn't control. It was exhausting and she could use some fun.

"I don't know. Most of us don't even go there," Zay pointed out their potential problem, "Can we even get in?"

"It's a big party, I'm sure it wouldn't be any problem," Riley responded confidently, figuring at the very least they could figure it out if that problem truly presented itself.

"So it's a costume party? What should we dress up as?" Lucas wondered aloud before suggesting, "Should we do a group thing?"

They all thought for a little while, hoping someone would come up with something. They sat quietly for a little while before Farkle sat up really straight before whispering something into Smackle's ear.

"I have the perfect idea, but it's a surprise." Farkle announced proudly, somewhat to the chagrin of the others, "Let's all meet at Riley's place tomorrow at 6. Smackle and I will do the shopping for what we need for the costumes."

"Come on just tell us!" Maya teased, a little afraid of what they might pick out for her.

"No that ruins all of the fun," Smackle argued, not the least bit intimidated by Maya.

"We'll just meet at my place tomorrow to find out what you guys picked," Riley told Farkle and Smackle, trying to keep the peace.

"Are we all going to be scientists?" Zay guessed, not hiding his lack of enthusiasm for the idea.

"As long as I am not Benjamin Franklin," Maya added, sharing Zay's hesitant expression.

"I can't wait to see what you come up with," Lucas interjected, supportively, as the conversation was soon redirected to how school was going for everyone.

-

Maya, Zay, and Lucas had all arrived a little early to Riley's apartment, waiting to see what their costume fate was going to be. They were spread out on couch, though Riley was practically on Lucas lap, where she so often found herself.

Seconds later a buzz came to the intercom.

"We're here," Farkle's voice floated through the speaker, causing Riley to hop up to let them into the building.

Within minutes, the couple was at the door arms full of four garment bags and a tote full of odd props.

"What are you two supposed to be?" Maya questioned when she saw Farkle in a purple sweater vest, tan corduroys and glasses, while Smackle wore a long red sleeveless dress with a wrap.

"You'll see," Farkle teased as he handed a bag to each one.

Riley opened hers first to reveal a vibrant blue short sleeved dress that was about knee length. There was a vintage hat with a couple feathers on it in her bag as well. Next Lucas opened his bag to see a green three piece suit and matching fedora. They were still confused as to what they were supposed to be.

"I still don't get it, Farkle. What are we supposed to be?" Riley inquired as she studied her blue dress.

"We are the characters from Clue, the board game. Naturally, I'm Professor Plum, and Isadora is Miss Scarlet.

"Everyone gets a weapon too," Smarkle added excitedly.

"I guess that means I'm Mr. Green and Riley is Mrs. Peacock," Lucas deduced once given that information.

"Oh crap!" Maya and Zay exclaimed in unison when they realize what their costumes would be. They quickly opened their bags to confirm their suspicions. Maya quickly saw her maid's outfit complete with white wig and maid headpiece. Zay's bag revealed a yellow army jacket, khakis, and a fake beard.

"There is no way I am wearing this wig," Maya asserted before tossing the wig right in Farkle's direction.

"I'll do this, but only if I get the revolver. I'm Colonel Mustard after all. He should get the gun," Zay bargained as he started putting on the fake beard.

"That knife is mine," Maya added and no one fought her on that one.

"I thought Lucas would get the rope, Riley the candle stick, and Isadora can have the wrench. I will go with the lead pipe."

"Maya and I will get dressed in my room and you boys can use the bathroom," Riley directed as she gathered up her costume.

"Come on Smackle. Once we get dressed, we can do something special with your hair," Maya suggested, inviting her to join them.

The girls walked toward Riley's room as the boys made their way in turn to the bathroom.

-

The girls returned after spending quite a bit more time than the boys did getting ready. Maya came out first, in her maid costume, apron and head piece, her long blonde hair pulled into a bun on top of her head, acting as unenthusiastic as possible.

"You clean up pretty good, Hart," Zay rattle off to Maya, looking fairly cartoonish with his beard and army outfit.

"Too bad you don't," Maya jabbed back with a hearty laugh at his expense.

The next one out was Riley in her blue dress with her hair curled around her face in a 1940s inspired 'do under her blue feathered hat. Lucas was immediately impressed giving her a look she remember from when they went on their first date.

"You look beautiful, Mrs. Peacock," Lucas said, removing his fedora like a gentleman, as he approached her in his green suit, making it look way more stylish than it ever should. Just like in an old movie, he took her hand and kissed the back lightly.

"You don't look so bad yourself, Mr. Green," Riley responded feeling her checks flush.

After a bit of coaxing from Maya, Smackle joined them last, rendering the usually chatty Farkle speechless. Her long black hair curled slightly and pulled to one side and a vintage hair clip of Riley's to finish it off.

"Wow," was all Farkle could manage as everyone's focus was on Smackle now. "You have never looked more beautiful, Isadora," Farkle added once he worked up the nerve.

"Thank you Farkle," Smackle responded timidly to her boyfriend's sweet compliment before catching a glimpse of the clock and adding, "We should probably get going."

"Yes, Shall we?" Riley agreed as Farkle and Smackle quickly handed out the murder weapon props.

Farkle offered his arm to Smackle as they made their way to the door. Riley and Lucas held hands as they followed. Maya and Zay brought up the rear, poking each other with their toy weapons behind the oblivious couples.