Family

Josh and Maya were surrounded by all of their friends and family as they celebrated their rehearsal dinner the night before their wedding.

As the group spread out through the room, Cory approached Josh to give him a hug as Topanga approached Maya to hug her as well.

"I'm so happy for you, baby brother," Cory congratulated him as they separated from the hug, "I hoped you would one day find your Topanga, and you did. I couldn't have picked anyone better for you"

"Thanks Cory," Josh answered hugging his brother, "That means a lot coming from you."

"I can't believe you are getting married Josh," Topanga piped in, "It feels like just yesterday your parents were bringing you home from the hospital."

After exchanging a few more pleasantries, Cory and Topanga moved on to visiting with other family members, leaving Maya and Josh all alone for probably the first time in days. Maya pulled him off to the side, sitting down next to him near the top of the steps.

"Do you want to know something?" Maya asked softly as she leaned her head against his shoulder, playing with his hand.

"What?" Josh whispered as he slid his fingers between hers, watching as she delicately traced his fingers with her free hand.

"Ever since I met Riley," Maya started hesitantly, hoping this came out as well as she meant it, "I always wanted to be a part of her family, to be a Matthews. They were so happy all the time while my parents were always fighting."

"But you have a great family with your mom and Shawn and John." Josh countered slightly puzzled before bringing her hand, still linked with his, to his lips, holding it there for many months.

"I know I do now," Maya smiled, "But my little self never knew that was coming. Anyway, it wasn't just Cory and Topanga for parents, but the whole family. Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, I got to see all of that spending time with Riley. So I dreamed about becoming a Matthews. Now all of these years later, I'm actually going to become a member of this family. You are...my dream come true."

"I think we both know you've always been a part of this family. Just like Shawn always has been," Josh countered, "But here's something you don't know. It turns out you are mine too."

"And how it that?" Maya wondered aloud, wanting to know what he was talking about.

"All my life I have seen how happy my parents have been and how happy Cory and Topanga are. I wanted that but I wasn't sure I'd find it. Until you came back into my life that Christmas, that is. The timing wasn't right and you were Riley's best friend. From that moment I saw you again, I couldn't get you out of my head and eventually my heart."

"That's good," Maya teased as she lifted her head and brought her face close to his, lightly grazing her lips with his, "Because you've never left mine and you never will.

-

Riley stood at the sink in her grandparent's kitchen washing a few dishes, humming as she worked. She didn't know she had an audience, let alone that Lucas was walking up behind her. He didn't want her to break the glass she was rinsing, so he waited until she had put it in the drying rack before making his presence known.

"Hi," Lucas whispered with a chuckle as he slipped his arms under hers, causing her to jump.

"Hey" Riley breathed before scolding Lucas with a slap to his forearm as she caught her breath, "Lucas Friar, please don't sneak up on me like that!"

"Sorry," Lucas apologized, sweetly, "Sometimes I just want to hold you in my arms."

"It's okay," Riley sighed, unable to be really mad at him, as she leaned back in his arms, "I really love this house. Growing up in the city, it was always a treat to come here, with all the rooms and the yard with a treehouse. Do you think someday we can get a place like this in suburbs somewhere?"

"Someday," Lucas agreed as he let his mind wander to their future, "When I'm done with vet school and we start our family, I think we can get a house like this. We will need more room for the kids."

"We might need some more room sooner than that," Riley added nonchalantly, smiling still with her back to him, kissing his cheek. After a few moments, as she dried her hands, Lucas caught on to what she meant.

"Wait," Lucas stammered as he realized what she was telling him, "Are...you...pregnant?" Riley turned around in his arms, before nodding with a small smile on her face, waiting for his reaction.

"I want to wait until after the wedding to tell everyone, so I don't steal Maya's thunder," Riley added while he continued to process this information, "Are you happy?"

"Of course, I am," Lucas finally spoke up, his Riley smile on his face, as he rubbed her cheek before he brought his hand to her chin and brought her lips to his, "Why wouldn't I be happy?"

"We've only been married a few months," Riley sighed a little anxious about everything, "We had planned on waiting until after you were done with school to have kids. It's a lot so fast."

"Yes, this is sooner than we planned," Lucas reassured her softly, taking her face in both of his hands, "But I have always wanted a family with you. I love you, Riley Friar, and I am so happy about having this baby with you. You will be an amazing mother and we can figure it all out together."

Lucas couldn't contain himself any longer, bringing her face to his, kissing her passionately and catching a couple of her happy tears on his thumbs. He started to smile and it was contagious, causing her to smile too, interrupting their kiss.

"So you believe we can do all of this, with you still in school and everything?" Riley inquired further, still concerned how they would make it all work.

"I believe that we can do anything together," Lucas answered confidently, resting his forehead on hers, closing his eyes, "Especially having this baby."

"You are going to be an amazing father, Lucas," Riley exhaled with a smile, letting her eye lids fall and breathing him in, "We should really get back to the party."

"I suppose," Lucas agreed pulling back, his hands finding hers, "Are you sure you don't want to tell your family? They're all here."

"No, I'm only a few weeks and I don't want to take away from why we are here," Riley protested, "When the time is right we'll tell everyone."

"If you say so," Lucas smiled the way he only did when she was being cute, "Let's go." He led her back to the party by the hand as they went back to celebrating Maya and Josh.