Maternity

"Oww," Riley groaned as she sat up in bed at 3 am, holding her large belly. She was 3 days past her due date and less than thrilled to be awake in the middle of the night. Sleep was hard enough to come by as it was.

"Riley," Lucas whispered as her movement stirred him from sleep, "Is everything okay? Was it a contraction?"

"I'm not sure," Riley answered softly before she felt the sharp pain again and it was worse this time, moaning louder, "Owww. " She panted as it dissipated, but Lucas could tell she was in pain.

"We should get you to the hospital, Riles," Lucas said getting out of bed and pulling some clothes. Riley was well prepared so she had a bag packed and everything.

"I just want to sleep," Riley argued, trying to fool herself that she could actually get more sleep, as she leaned back on her pillow. She barely hit the pillow when she popped right back up, "Lucas!"

"What?" Lucas asked as he grabbed her bag, looking over at Riley. Before she even answered she pushed all of the blankets away from her to reveal a nice-sized wet spot on the sheet.

"Okay. You're right, we need to go," Riley gave in as she tried to get out of bed. Lucas went over to help and to get her some dry pants before they got into the car and went to the hospital.

-

Lucas drove them to the hospital as quickly as he could, while simultaneously trying not to get a ticket. In a whirl he parked the car, checked Riley in and wheeled her to her room. Riley found him surprisingly calm but deep down he was trying not to freak out.

The nurse helped Riley into a hospital gown as Lucas made phone calls. There were a lot of people who would want to be there. First he called the parents, Cory and Topanga were on their way and his parents sent their love while they were on a trip.

They arrived full of anticipation for their first grandchild. Auggie and Ava tagged along and had already found the waiting room and were more interested in each other than why they were actually there.

"Riley will be so glad that you were able to be here," Lucas said as he greeted his in-laws, hugging Cory and Topanga and waving at Auggie and Ava.

"We are so excited for you both, Lucas," Topanga beamed proudly thinking back to how it felt for both her and Cory became parents for the first time, "You will be wonderful parents."

"As a father of a daughter, let me give you some advice," Cory offered as he put his hand on his son-in-law's shoulder, "When you hold your daughter for the first time, she'll already have you wrapped around her finger. And when it's time to let go, you're never going to be ready. But if you are lucky, she'll find someone better you can ever pick yourself."

"I hope I can be so lucky," Lucas smiled appreciatively, shaking Cory's hand, "and thank you. That means more to me than you know."

"Is she up for visitors?" Topanga interrupted the two men who were now hugging, "We'd really like to see her."

"I'm sure she'd be happy to see you," Lucas answered as he showed them to her room as she was just getting settled in.

"Hi, sweetie," Topanga greeted Riley from the doorway, receiving a very welcoming smile. "How are you?"

"Mama," Riley held her arms open for a hug, "I'm so glad you are here."

"Of course," Topanga hugged her back, warmly, "My baby is having a baby. You're going to be the mama soon."

"I can't wait to meet her," Riley smiled her biggest smile, hugging her belly, as a few tears started to form in her eyes.

"You will soon," Topanga assured her holding her hand as their husbands stood at the door.