Additional Q & A (Important Information)

How do I get into the spotlight?

Each week (also known as rounds) three writers will be Spotlighted in this contest book. How do you become spotlighted? 4 methods.

Method 1

First come first serve. The sooner you join the contest, the sooner you get spotlighted. If you are the first to join, you are the first to shine. If you are the thousandth person to join, you get the thousandth slot.

How is that fair? Everyone gets a chance to shine. It doesn't matter if you are first or last, you are special.

Method 2

Every last Friday of the month I will select three random Authors from the pool of participants to spotlight for the upcoming week.

Method 3

If you want to take fate into your own hands so you can be spotlighted next week, here's what you do:

Bring 10 additional participants into this contest (who pass the screening process). You automatically land in the spotlight.

How is this fair? When you contribute to the growth of this contest, you are rewarded.

Method 4

The first time you win 3 rounds, you automatically land in the spotlight for the up coming week.

I call these winners the #NBR TRIPLE CROWNERS.

Once you win three rounds, you enter the Famous Triple Crowner List (above) and your next challenge is to win a round by ALL 3 Authors within that round.

Dawn, you're confusing me.

Okay, clarification: Author 1, Author 2, and Author 3 must choose you as their winner.

This is the only way you can circulate back into the spotlight again.

What if I don't pass the screening process?

Screening can take up to a week. If you don't hear back in 7 days, you most likely did not pass the screening process. If you'd like to know why, PM me. Otherwise, you should hear back by 1-2 days time.

If you do not make it pass screening, you are still free to join! Comment on authors' works, discover new books, make everlasting friendships. You can still be spotlighted by:

1) Winning three rounds.

2) Bringing 5 additional participants (who pass the screening process) into the contest

What do I do after I pass the screening process? There are 3 steps.

Step 1: Visit this contest book every Saturday for the new Rounds.

- Read one chapter chosen by each Author - that's right, you only have to read one chapter chosen by each Author then write one Quality Comment per Authors' work.

This is deliberately designed to offer you a glimpse of each Authors' work. If you can't stop reading because it's so good, then vote on it and stash it in your Reading List. That's the entire purpose of this contest isn't it?

Step 2: Visit this contest book every Sunday to see 3 Winners from the last round.

Step3: Follow these 3 winners.

Why do I need to follow them?

Because these winners are the people you want reading your work. There are some really Smart and Intelligent readers on WP. Their insight can add value and strengthen your work. Now why would you not want to follow them?

But Dawn, how do I write a Quality Comment so I can win?

Quality Comments (QCs) must be six lines or more. It must be:

- Insightful: Having or showing an accurate and deep understanding

- Honest: Free of deceit and untruthfulness; sincere

- Constructive: Serving a useful purpose

- Thorough: Complete with regard to every detail

- Enlightening: Give the author greater knowledge and understanding about a subject or situation

- Kind: The quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate

Highlight the qualities of the book, not the quality of the Author! QCs are generally longer in length and have more detailed content.

Learn from best - seek out the winners. Humbling ask their recipe for success. They've made it, why not learn from them? Work smart.

Examples of Quality Comments and Weekly Comment Topics:

See Competition Rounds for example of Weekly Comment Topics and past winning comments.

Guidelines for Comments:

Lastly, from the beginning of 2017 we launched a new Commenting Reward System.

It is a contest! We want to acknowledge the time you put in and make the rewards as fair as possible. Therefore we have developed a scoring system for you comments. 

For a long time now we've had members comment on how runner-ups don't really get anything except a mention, with our new system we will recognize not only runner-ups efforts but everyone. This scoring system will help you spotlight faster, the more you score the quicker you spotlight. But if you don't have as much time as some... don't fret because even if you are only getting 1 point per round you will still make it to the spotlight in good time, it may just take you a little longer. 

The guidelines are as follows:

Score of 0 = Non Quality comments less than SIX lines

Score of 1 = Short comments that reach the new minimum (6) line count

Score of 2 = Longer, quality comments that address; author's questions, Comment Topic and include a couple insightful suggestions

Score of 3 = Runner up, special mention from author and or excellent comments as seen by enforcer, that go above and beyond. These comments will not only address the author's questions and comment topic but also include many insightful suggestions.

Score of 4 = Round Winner

The higher you score the faster you can win a spotlight place! The speed in which you spotlight is now in your hands!

Dawn, what if I can't read a genre? 

In the event you can't read a genre, you are no longer allowed to privately inform the spotlight author and/or publicly announce it on the NBR comment thread. Instead, please PM the DawnStarling account with a well qualified reason why you must pass on the story. If approved, the moderators will inform the spotlight author. This new rule is created in courtesy and respect for our spotlight authors. Enforcers manually go through rounds each week and know exactly which books you have not read. Please abide by the pledge you have taken, show authors their due respect and read all three chapters each week.