Round 101

👉 Press that Star!

Announcements: Make sure to check our the VERY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT in Round 100 if you haven't already! 

---

Commenting time frame (CST): 9/15 ~ 9/25

Moderator: swiftiegirl1010

Comment Topic: What are your first impressions on the main character and are they characters you can be invested in throughout the story?

🐶 🐱 🐭

Author #1: burnedoubt

Book Title: ANARCHY [BBC Sherlock Fanfiction]

Specified Chapter: Chapter 4

Summary Thus Far in Book: After being hired to work in one of the world's most highly guarded prison, Sera quickly finds her role as one of the prison psychologists (the third one in the last few months) turned on its head when she meets a woman named Eurus Holmes. This is a woman who has been imprisoned for the majority of her life, with an extraordinary capacity for manipulation and an equally extraordinary unattachment to the concepts of morality and emotion.

From the first minutes Sera and Eurus' meeting, the prisoner's fascination and motivation to push Sera Baine's mental and physical capabilities means their roles are inevitably reversed. The role of "lab rat" is filled by Sera, and it becomes increasingly obvious that Eurus isn't as confined as the new test-subject first believed. She is put through Eurus' tests (dealing with emotional and bodily stress), which are executed by prison guards, each tied in with various methods of gaslighting, blackmail, and disillusion. The chapter opens with the first test.

Author's Note: Oh my. The big moment. I'm quite literally shaking as I type this out, and I've been planning what I want to say here for months. But, in all honesty, there isn't much I can say that hasn't been said before, other than the fact that since joining, I have a tenfold appreciation for the word "kudos". Thanks NBR. Lol, anyway, I actually am so incredibly thankful for all of you fantastic reviewers and moderators. Please knock yourself out with this one, and don't hold back on the even the most general / detailed constructive criticism (goodness knows I need it). Thank you DawnStarling .

1) Please comment on your level of engagement throughout the chapter (and where + why you felt that). I'm asking this because I've gotten quite a bit of feedback saying I'm too wordy / I have too many redundant sentences / etc. Does the language turn you off?

2) What do you think of Sera and her thought processes (does she stay within what you think her character is)? In general, she is an intellectual (a psychologist), just to give some context.