How to be a Spotlight Author

Written by: the3dreamers, Ariel_Paiement1, ChayAvalerias , Tegan1311, Twin_Cities & SapphireAlena

Special thanks to DawnStarling for her feedback and encouragement.

Special thanks to our Official #NBR GIF producer: the3dreamers

Congratulations

You have finally made it to the "big time," the spotlight for The Next Big Recognition, the best writing community that Wattpad has to offer.

By now, you've realized that #NBR reviewers are simply amazing. Many of these individuals put a lot of time and effort into their reviews to help make a contribution to the spotlighted author's work and writing. This week you will receive a series of recommendations, editorial support, and other commentaries. On average, you might get 40 or more reviews which can range as much as, or more than, 25,000 words. (Yeah, that's a lot.) So, the whole process can be a little overwhelming.

We (a group of #NBR Triple Crown Reviewers + friends) have created some guidelines that will make your spotlight week spectacular! As committed reviewers, we drew from our experiences of being spotlighted and of writing reviews. We hope our strategies and suggestions are helpful as you prepare for your big week.

Check List: What to Do Before Your Spotlighted Week

#1.  Prepare your chapter for review 

Okay, you just got the PM from Dawn that says your spotlighted week is coming up. Don't panic! This is all going to be a good experience. Remember, you've been waiting for this moment to shine. Here are some strategies:

√ Write up a good description: 

Use the description and summary posted on the previous #NBR rounds as a model to create your own write-up. Send this to Dawn already formatted. (We all know how crazy busy Dawn is, so try to help her out by being organized.)

√ Prepare your chapter for review:

 You definitely want the #NBR community to know that you take your writing seriously. So fix basic misspellings and typos and other common errors like missing words that happen on a first draft. This way the reviewers can focus on other things in your chapter.

√ Follow chapter guidelines:

Please make sure that your chapter meets the guidelines of #NBR. Is your chapter over 2800 words? If so, please have a cut of note in your chapter so reviewers know where to stop. Does your chapter have a little bit of violence that might be troubling? If so, please warn the readers about this in your summary. Do the characters get a little too frisky? Make sure you give a warning so that reviewers who might be uncomfortable with the work will be able to determine whether they want to read it or not.